cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chris_caudy
Message 1 of 7

Netgear DM200 modem not authenticating

I have read as much as I can find about the above router/modem as a replacement for HH5 along with an ASUS RT-N66U router.

The connection worked well when I had an Openreach modem with the ASUS router but I upgraded to Superfast Fibre Plus and BT sent me a new HomeHub version 5a. This has worked to a point but I wanted to continue to use the ASUS router for its better facilities, the Openreach modem has since shuffled off its mortal coils.

I have tried setting up the Netgear DM200 as advised in router+modem mode :-

PPOE, VLAN ID 101

Username, bthomehub@btbroadband.com p/w BT

It will not connect to the internet (authentication error, I suspect)

Using the Netgear as a modem, all leds showing green and plugging its output into the ASUS WAN socket, I still cannot get the connection to authenticate, with the modem feeding into the WAN socket of the ASUS, I just keep getting 'wrong username or bad password' in the ASUS dashboard.

Reconnecting the HH5, broadband is restored.

Normally, by now I would have trashed something (big and expensive) in frustration ... please help

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Netgear DM200 modem not authenticating

@chris_caudy 

Are you using the DM200 in modem or router mode as I think you must use modem mode only with the Asus doing the authentication just like when using the Openreach modem.

Have a look at this thread:- Netgear DM200 issues

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Yes, you need to use the dm200 in bridge mode and authenticate with the Asus
0 Ratings
chris_caudy
Message 4 of 7

After carrying out a factory reset I set the Netgear to bridge (modem) mode and did a reboot. Connecting to the ASUS router and setting the pppoe configuration, I get 'Invalid account or password' click to correct it. I'm getting no further with this at all.

Setting the DM200 into modem+router mode and applying the same parameters and credentials still doesn't work.

With the HH5 back in circuit the internet is available as usual along with the other problems of poor wifi and DHCP server crashes.

Getting desperate ...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Did you read message 8 in the thread @TimCurtis  linked to?

You need to factory reset the DM200, set it to bridge mode and then set Passthrough VLAN to FALSE

0 Ratings
chris_caudy
Message 6 of 7

I did thank you, still no joy

0 Ratings
chris_caudy
Message 7 of 7

I've requested a replacement from the 'rainforest', I think it's faulty. We'll see ...

0 Ratings