Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Netgear Nighthawk RAX200 instead BT Smart Hub

Hello  guys, 

I would like to use Netgear router instead of BT Smart Hub. 

I was using previously DrayTek Vigor 2850Vn ADSL/VDSL router which acts both as modem and router. This router was a good piece of kit, but it is just not enough for thees days while we stream 4K videos and play more demanding video games. Mostly during the gaming time, the router restarts randomly being obviously overloaded. 

So, this is the time for an upgrade. I would like to get a Netgear router but like you know this is only a router. Good routers have no modem function, so I need to have a modem as well. BT Smart Hub has no options to act as a modem only, so using it I will probably end up with some NAT issues. 

Please advise me where to get a good modem, as I don't think BT will provide me with one. I was thinking about getting back my HG612 which I throw it to the bin many years ago, but I heard this need to be unlocked or something, others said this is too old and no longer manufactured and supported, so what is your advice in this matter guys? I really need to hear some BT experts to be a 100% sure that my connection will be rock solid with no interruptions what so ever. 

And please don't ask me why I don't want to use BT Smart Hub 🙂 Thanks!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Netgear Nighthawk RAX200 instead BT Smart Hub

what broadband connection do you have  adsl/vdsl/GFAST/FTTP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Hi, Thanks for the replay. I have fibre to the cabinet.

Basically, fibre is at the cabinet which is about 100m away from my home then a standard copper wire is connected to the property. 

Screenshot_7.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

@MaverickF16 

You cannot use that one, as its only a router, it has no phone line DSL port.

You need a VDSL modem/router instead. There are plenty available.

Look here for Netgear ones https://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/dsl-modems-routers/

Maybe https://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/dsl-modems-routers/D7800.aspx

Watch out if you have BT TV, as not all devices will work with it.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Yes, it is only a router so I'm asking for advice which modem is the best to buy to be able to get this works. I'm already sick of the VDSL modem/routers, they don't work that well, specs are much worst than the one I pointed out and also the selection of those routers is very poor, as you see Netgear offers only one model hahaha which is obvious as not so many countries are using this connection type, but the UK, of course, is always behind every single country when comes to the internet services, speeds and prices... 

Like I mentioned I had VDSL routers before and I was not very pleased with them. I need something more stable, so I have chosen the best in its class Netgear router, just need a modem for it now.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Just look for a second hand Openreach modem, there are plenty for sale.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

@MaverickF16  Just dig out the old HG612, it doesn't need to be unlocked. If you do want to unlock it to view the connection stats, it is a trivial operation.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Ok, guys thanks so much for the advice, I decided to buy two famous modems and compare them together.

I got a Draytek 130 from Marketplace for £20, so bargain I would say, and also purchased HG612/3B for £15 on eBay so pretty good deals.

I'm going to test both modems and I will post my thoughts back here. Once again thanks so much for all the answers, I really appreciate your help guys. 

Kind Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 12

I’d be interested in how it goes? 

I’ve just switched back to a BT Smarthub 2 (mainly as BT app and support only works if you have their router) having had a £40 TP Link modem and an expensive Netgear Nighthawk X10 router. 

Its not working as well as I’d hoped - drops out and not as wide coverage. 

considering switching back to use the BT Smarthub2 as a modem and the the Netgear Nighthawk x10 as the router but you mentioned that it might clash as BT hub does not allow modem only? Is that correct?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

BT hubs do not have a modem only mode

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings