cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
osmorgan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Netgear WNR3500L & Phone line

Hi all, i have purchased a Netgear WNR3500L so that i can run OpenVPN at router level, and to use the USB port to access my external HDD over the internet. It is yet to be delivered but i have a few questions for the setup and my Infinity connection.

I currently have BT Infinity with a HomeHub5, which is a phone line connection from the master socket. The Netgear has only an ethernet port for the WAN connection. Can someone advise on the best pratace on working this? I dont mind keeping the HH5 to act as a modem, by disabling the wifi from it and wire it into the Netgear, but is this best pracace? I dont want to end up with a nightmare with the HH5s firewall etc.. will setting the Netgear as a DMZ remove any routing issues from the scenario?

Thanks for reading!

Owen

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: Netgear WNR3500L & Phone line

Yes, that should work. You can then turn down the firewall on the HH5 if you trust the Netgear firewall.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
osmorgan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Netgear WNR3500L & Phone line

i have tried this but still having a problem with blocked ports, particularly with port 21 (FTP). is there a modem i can request instead of using the home hub?
0 Ratings