cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Netgear nighthawk XR500 with BT Smart Hub 2

Hi, 

I am trying to set up the nighthawk xr500 to use a gaming router with my bt smart hub. when i connect via ethernet to the BT smart hub and then run the set up wizard it gets stuck on finding an internet connection (says no connection) and the internet light on the router is red. 

i have tried PPoE username of bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT but it doesnt seem to work. 

does anyone have any ideas ? 

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Netgear nighthawk XR500 with BT Smart Hub 2

Why would you want to use a gaming router in conjunction with a BT hub? Rather defeats the object as the hub will still be acting as a router and thus you will be double natting as well. You would be better served buying an Openreach Huawei HG612 modem from Ebay and dispensing with the hub.

The PPPoE session is being dealt with by the hub, not the Netgear. You need to configure the Netgear WAN port as either DHCP or give it a static IP address outside the DHCP range of the hub i.e 192.168.1.20

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

thanks for the info, i mainly want to use the duma os for gaming e.g. choosing the server locations.

ok so my options are either:

1) get a openreach router 

2) keep the hub and then give it a static IP outside of the range of the hub (the default set up is DHCP and it didnt seem to work). when setting up the static IP it was also asking for various details, but the only thing i need is the  192.168.1.20?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

I'm not familiar with the Netgear, but you can try a static address of 192.168.1.20 with gateway 192.168.1.254

Personally I would consider getting a modem.

I assume you are either on Fibre 1 or Fibre 2 and not FTTP or G.Fast

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

yes i am on fibre with halo 1. 

ok i will pick up a modem - thanks for the help

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Halo 1 is just a benefits add on, not a technology. What fibre service do you have?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

i am not sure how to check this, i get around 70mb through a phone line connection into the smart hub. so i think fibre 1

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Actually fibre2, but just wanted to make sure you didn't have G.Fast as the Huawei modem doesn't work with G.Fast.

0 Ratings