Highlighted
Open_Reach_K
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Network Adapter keeps losing it's IP Address using Windows Vista. BT Infinity

Go to solution

Hi All,

Can you please help!?

This is an IT issue (i guess) more than an VDSL problem. I have recently upgraded to the new BT Infinity and don't have a problem with speed, whether it be sync speed or actual dowload speed, i always achieve over 31mbps download speed and 7mbps upload (true throughput) speed which is fantastic.

However, my network adapter in my PC keeps losing it's IP address and i constantly have to use the 'diagnose and repair' option on Vista to obtain a new IP address and/or reset network adapter. It is really beginning to get on my nerves!!!

Now i know that i'm not losing sync as the Openreach modem always has three green lights upon it and the BT Home Hub 2 has three blue lights.

Any ideas? I've already changed the ethernet done all the line tests etc and pair quality tests even. Could it be that the speed is too great for the network adapter to handle? I was getting 5mbps now its 31mbps??

Help!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Matt

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
reme8488
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: Network Adapter keeps losing it's IP Address using Windows Vista. BT Infinity

Go to solution

Which hub are you using Matt?

Kind regards... Tom

BT Infinity2:
0 Ratings
Open_Reach_K
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Re: Network Adapter keeps losing it's IP Address using Windows Vista. BT Infinity

Go to solution

Hi Tom,

BT Home Hub 2.0? It's only a month old. Could be the router? I've also read about IPv4 (the common one in use) and the IPv6 does this have any bearing on my connectivity?

Is it network adapter losing the IP address or the router losing the IP address from the server in the Exchange (or beyond.......i.e the Service Provider BT Retails servers somewhere in the country?). Sorry for my lack of knowledge!

Thanks,

Matt

0 Ratings
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

A couple of possibilities?

Check that you have the latest chipset drivers from your motherboard manufacturer's website (usually includes ethernet drivers) & also check the ethernet card/adaptor manufacturer's website for possible updated drivers.

Also Check both your general  PC  power managements settings and more specifically your power management settings for your ethernet card/adaptor.

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
0 Ratings
Open_Reach_K
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Hi All,

Thanks for the information but i've tried all your recommendations and it's still happening!! I must make you aware that a friend of mine is a BT Openreach Telephone Engineer and he has installed all this kit. He assures me it's nothing to do with BT Infinity and it must be a IT problem with my kit.

I just can't believe that this problem is down to my kit, when i was on ADSL2+ i had no IT issues at all. I've even run some HP Hardware checker software on my PC and found no issues with the kit?

If i need to upgrade my ethernet adapter then why didn't BT just tell me to do this in the 1st place.

Please help as i'm going to rip this kit out and go back to ADSL2+ on a stable 5mbps connection with no issues for nearly 5 years.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

if you are using wireless try downloading inssider2 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. Then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Open_Reach_K
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

Hi thanks,

I'm not losing wireless i'm using an ethernet. Plus i have the BT Homehub 3 which has smart wireless and will automatically change wireless channel within 90 seconds. That's not my problem but thanks for the advice 😄

It's driving me bonkers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS - It is not the BT Hub or Openreach Modem or the faceplate, the ethernet adapter keeps losing it's IP and i constantly have to "Diagnose and repair" on Windows Vista and then it finds the IP address again. If i can't can't fix it then who will!!??????????

Help HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!

0 Ratings
chas2209
Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

Hi

Uninstall your Ethernet adaptor in Device Manager, Then reboot immediately

It should Reinstall itself. "worked for me"

Chas

PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

Try un-installing re-installing the adaptor as suggested.

If that doesn't work then there is an outside possibility that one or more of your Software Firewall/AV Applications come anti-malware Applications is processing or blocking/allowing requests to slowly leading to a connection dropout?

Uninstalling then properly reinstalling these Applications may help?

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

Me thinks there could be an IP address conflict....

Click start, type in network, look for and click on Network and Sharing Centre

Click on Manage network connections

Right click on the Local Area Connection, then select properties

Right click on the Internet Protocol Version 4

On this window delete any IP addresses and select Obtain Address Automatically, click OK

Reboot the PC and see if it still drops the connection....

If it does you could try setting the Hub to issue a static IP address for the PC.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings