cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Network connection constantly dropping despite speed of 70mb/s

When I test my broadband speed I am told it is good and I get 70 mb/s.

My new work laptop is the closest to the hub downstairs, however when I am on a webex, teams or zoom call I lose my connection every 5-10 mins.

My kids use the wifi to play on xbox and watch TV and they have no interruption in service when my network connection drops.  I can't understand why the network keeps dropping.  It does get a little bit better if I ask them to not use the internet at all but I still experience network connection loss which seems crazy given my alleged speed on tests.

I'm not convinced upgrading is the answer as all these advanced packages claim speeds which I already have, but my service is poor.  Can anyone help?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Network connection constantly dropping despite speed of 70mb/s

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

have you turned of smart setup  

Turn Off smart setup

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Hi

This is the screen I see when I put in all the 192. etc number

alisonaldridge_0-1597069750965.png

This is what I see when I run the other link you sent:

It says I am exchange New Mills served by cabinet 5

alisonaldridge_1-1597069870874.png

I have turned off smart set up but I am not sure how that is supposed to help?

The quiet line test, I heard nothing, presume that was the aim?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

@alisonaldridge wrote:

My kids use the wifi to play on xbox and watch TV and they have no interruption in service when my network connection drops. 

If it is only your connection that drops, it would point to the laptop being the problem. You could try updating your wireless adapter's drivers.

Do you get disconnections if you connect your laptop via an Ethernet cable rather than wifi?

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

post the stats by going to advanced settings then technical log information not the logs and post the page

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Wifi connections do not always cope very well if you are uploading a lot of data, as well as downloading. That would be the case when using any form of video conferencing. If there are a lot of interfering signals, you are likely to lose connection.

As @licquorice  has suggested, try a direct Ethernet connection and see if that fixes the problem.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

I've never used an ethernet connection.  As it's a work laptop I would need to create a ticket for them to look at the wireless adapter driver.  I will try both.

0 Ratings