cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pompeyexile
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Network connection issues for Printer & NAS

I have had fibre to the house fitted two wqeeks ago and with it came the BT Smart Hub 2. Since connecting I have been unable to acess via my PC either the router, my printer or my QNAP NAS.

However I have been able to connect to the router via my iPhone.

I have had a QNAP service engineer dial into my PC and he managed to get access to my NAS but not via my network or router even when I connected the NAS directly from the router to my PC via a cat6 ethernet cable. His conclusion was there was a problem with my network and that this could only be sorted by BT remotely accessing my router and making a change to it so that the NAS and my printer would be accessible.

Please can anyone help as I need to access my NAS as all my music (over1600 CD's) were burnrd onto iTunes which sits on the NAS as well as photo's and documents etc. It is also very frustrating I cannot print anything either.

Oh, whilst I run NORDVPN I have tried even turning this off and still no joy.

I had an Asus router before and had no such issues. However, I can't replace the BT router with that s the Asus will not accept the fibre connection.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Network connection issues for Printer & NAS

0 Ratings
Rob364
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

You say you cant access your router so are you using the correct address? ASUS tend to use 192.168.1.1 whereas BT tend to use 192.168.1.254.
0 Ratings
Pompeyexile
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Gave it go but unfortunately it doesn't make any difference.

The service guy from QNAP said the NAS has an IP address but my pc thinks it is on another network but they both have the same subnet.

Definately using the 254 IP address.

Strange thing though, whilst the BT router on my iPhone says the MAC address for the NAS ends in AE. The Qfinder Pro says the MAC address ends in AD.

0 Ratings
Rob364
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

"Strange thing though, whilst the BT router on my iPhone says the MAC address for the NAS ends in AE. The Qfinder Pro says the MAC address ends in AD"
Do you have 2 LAN ports on the NAS? AD & AE are sequential .
0 Ratings
Pompeyexile
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Yes. One is connected directly to the router and the other is spare and used when I've connected the NAS directly to my PC. But it isn't now and still showing th two different MAC address endings.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

What IP address does your PC have? It sounds as though either you have given it a static address in the wrong subnet or it isn't getting an address from the hub.

0 Ratings
Pompeyexile
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

The PC IP is 192.168.1.233
subnet 255.255.255.0
The QfinderPro shows the NAS network settings as both ethernet ports not set as static addresses.
PC network IP assignment also set to automatic
0 Ratings
Rob364
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

As your phone can access the router is there anything different in the network settings between them apart from the IP address?

Have you tried using a static IP address on your computer, say 192.168.1.10, with a gateway of 192.168.1.254 to see if that makes any difference?

I dont know what OS you are using but what does   ipconfig/ all   or it's equivalent give?

Can your phone ping your PC?

Can your PC ping your router and anything else on the network?

I assume you have tried swapping ethernet cables around?

0 Ratings
Pompeyexile
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

I downloaded an app on my phone called iNetTools which allowed me to ping both the router and the NAS and both sent and received packages fine. No my PC cannot ping either my router or NAS I just get the message 'General failure' packets sent 4 packets received 0 lost 4.
I have tried different ethernet cables with the same result. even changing LAN ports on the NAS.
I did have a static IP for my NAS and that worked fine but again since installing the BT router and the issues arising so as part of trying to fix it I have taken off the static IP.
I can ping the Google server IP 8.8.8.8 and it sends and receives packages no problem.

I can see no difference in network settings between my iPhone and PC. The subnet mask is the same IP configure is set to automatic
0 Ratings