Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maybelle
Contributor
Message 11 of 54

Re: Network did not assign a network address to the computer

Go to solution
Hi Keith - re my previous answer: I managed to overcome my DOS 'query' which was not a query in the end, sorry. My default gateway is indeed 192.168.1.254. On my laptop pc I have no IP address or Subnet Mask, they are both all zero's. I shall try to set up static IP address on my laptop PC as you have advised and hopefully it will do the trick. I shall let you know. Thank you. maybelle
0 Ratings
Highlighted
theriddlerz
Contributor
Message 12 of 54

Go to solution
Keith if u are a res customer of bt remember there is no static ip for res customer and retail will pan u off to biz ness to get 1 and that means new contract and harder to get res account for ur property with any company #justsayin
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 54

Go to solution
The static IP that Keith is referring to to is for an internal network setting nothing to do with the dynamic ip address for your internet connection
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 54

Go to solution
Indeed, I have all my devices set up with static IP's. Makes it much easier for streaming media/permission of devices!
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 54

Go to solution

@theriddlerz wrote:
Keith if u are a res customer of bt remember there is no static ip for res customer and retail will pan u off to biz ness to get 1 and that means new contract and harder to get res account for ur property with any company #justsayin

You are getting confused with the WAN side IP address which is dynamic, and the LAN side which you can change yourself. The home hub handles NAT ( Network Address Translation). Static addressing on the LAN side improves reliability.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 54

Go to solution

@maybelle wrote:
Hi Keith - re my previous answer: I managed to overcome my DOS 'query' which was not a query in the end, sorry. My default gateway is indeed 192.168.1.254. On my laptop pc I have no IP address or Subnet Mask, they are both all zero's. I shall try to set up static IP address on my laptop PC as you have advised and hopefully it will do the trick. I shall let you know. Thank you. maybelle

You do not need to use DOS, unless you have a very old computer. You can change the network settings from the control panel.

If you have any problems, then tell me which version of Windows you are running.

maybelle
Contributor
Message 17 of 54

Go to solution
Hi Keith - have all the data from the cdm prompt and ipconfig/all, changed the setting on my laptop as instructed by the instructions you have kindly sent to me, but still no connection has been achieved. Spoke to BT phone help, they are sending me a new router and the Help Agent said that it should then connect. Not sure what router I'll get, my present one is BT HomeHub 1.0. Thank you for your help. maybelle
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 54

Go to solution
hi you will most likely get a home hub 3
maybelle
Contributor
Message 19 of 54

Go to solution
Hi Jonh - will the HomeHub3 enable my WiFi connection to my laptop, would you know? Many thanks. maybelle
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 54

Go to solution
yes you should be all right just remember it will have a new wireless security code and you will need to reset all wireless devices you have