cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Network showing up twice on Windows 10 laptop?

Hi, I wonder if someone can help me.

I recently upgraded my BT broadband package and received a Smart Hub2 and some complete wi-fi discs for upstairs

The wi-fi works fantastic on my iPhone, iPad and other devices - but it's not getting on with my HP windows 10 laptop.

I am not sure if the wireless card on my laptop is faulty, but ever since I upgraded to the BT smart hub 2, the wifi connection is not stable at all. It keeps disconnecting, reconnecting, web pages take forever to load.

On the network selection, my network is listed as BT-XXXXXX (X's representing my SSID length) but then I have another one in there which says 'BT-XXXXXX 2' - I am not sure how this second one is showing. Maybe this could be the source of the problem?

Have reset my network adapter, to no avail. If anyone has had similar problems and solved it, please let me know.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Network showing up twice on Windows 10 laptop?

That sounds more like a device problem (the HP Laptop) than a hub problem.

Try left clicking on the wireless networking icon in your system tray and then Right click on each of the SSID,s' in turn then select 'Forget' from the Pop-Up menu, restart the HP and connect from scratch

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

The SH2 transmits both bands with the same SSID, I wonder if your laptop is somehow reporting the 2 bands separately.

Try turning off one of the bands in the SH2 and see if one of the networks disappears and your connection stabilises.

Advanced settings > wireless

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Hi @Les-Gibson 

I haven't figured out exactly what was happening here but I've turned off the 5GHz receiver on my network card settings on the laptop itself and it appears to be more stable on the 2.4GHz now.

Maybe the 5ghz part of the network card on my laptop was non functional or was becoming faulty, as 5ghz works perfectly on my other devices

Message 5 of 9

Hi @licquorice 

I haven't figured out exactly what was happening here but I've turned off the 5GHz receiver on my network card settings on the laptop itself and it appears to be more stable on the 2.4GHz now.

Maybe the 5ghz part of the network card on my laptop was non functional or was becoming faulty, as 5ghz works perfectly on my other devices

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

@DavidWill67wrote:

Hi @Les-Gibson 

Interesting.

A bit of a long shot but have you been experimenting with the network adapters Metric values?

See: The Automatic Metric feature for IPv4 routes - Windows Server | Microsoft Learn

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Hi again @Les-Gibson 

No I haven't been changing any other settings which is what was confusing me as to why the internet was so unstable on my laptop.

I haven't changed anything on the hub settings either as I don't really fiddle with anything that doesn't need changing, I just leave the hub and usually the laptop do its own thing

I assume it was just a laptop specific problem with the 5Ghz frequency.. the only thing I have now changed is 802.11n from a/b/g, just to b/g

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Have you checked that you have the most up to date drivers for your laptop's network card? Use either the card manufacturer's web site or the laptop manufacturer's web site rather than using Windows update. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Hi @gg30340 

Yes I checked all of this yet the problem was persisting, going through the methods you said also

0 Ratings