cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

New BT Hub received

Hi All

We are due to be upgraded for full fibre this Friday.  We have received a new BT hub as ours was so old.  I .  It states we can set it up ourselves.

Until Friday it will have to go upstairs in the home office which its been for years.  The wires on the new hub are different to the old hub so are very reluctant to attempt it ourselves as do not want to be without internet.

The new hub and router which Openreach will bring will be together will be in the lounge as that is inline with the underground cabling outside which has been seen by Openreach engineers and verified OK.  All Openreach will do is the final stage on Friday.

So we think its sensible for Openreach to install new hub for us same time as connecting us up.

Have you all either installed new hub or left it for openreach to do on final fix?

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: New BT Hub received

You just take the DSL telephone cable from the back of the old Hub & plug it into the grey port on the new one.

Entirely up to you whether you want to that or not. Although doing so would eliminate the tiny possibility of finding it's faulty on the day.

Not sure what you mean by Openreach bringing a new Hub & router? All they will bring to install inside is the ONT that the Hub you've been sent will connect to.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

I'm not sure I understand, the connections should be the same on the old and new hub. A DSL socket that connects to the phone socket and 4 Ethernet sockets. Can you post a picture of your old hub connections please?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

Hi 

Our old connections will not be used as they are upstairs, we have bt points in most rooms of the house.  Our current BT line will be become redundant as its cooper and we are not going to have digital phones .  Just rely on mobiles.

Sending a photo of old ones will be pointless as Ive said they will be redundant.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

@Mattiesmomma  do you by any chance currently have an old hub4 and separate modem?

If so, just unplug the DSL cable on the modem and plug it into the DSL socket on the new hub. The modem will no longer be required

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Yes, understand that. It was so that you could use the new hub until moved to fibre.

Pointless posting if you didn't want to do that.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

Yes I agree  its to make sure it works ok.

We have new bt hub2 but not installed it yet as why install it on the place were it will not go as it will have to move anyway,

Why install new hub with old system when openreach can do it alongside new ONT.

Can I ask have you been through this same process?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

Yes we do.

Have you been through this process?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Yes, of course. Its not a huge process, you are simply swapping one router for another, there is no 'installation' as such. Its entirely up to you if you want to do it or not.

You can either  change the the wireless name and password on the new hub to be the same as the old one, or you can change all your devices. Its simpler to change the new hub.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

THanks for tolerating my odd questions.

Our current antiquated hub is upstairs in the office attached to BT phone line and the new one will be in the lounge with the ONT

. Please note we will no longer have a landline as we have chosen not to have digital phones and want to loose phone number.  Ok so if we install new hub upstairs today and add all devices to it in readiness for Friday when Openreach come to do final stage, all we will have to do is move it downstairs on Friday?

0 Ratings