cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nickjonezy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

New BT broadband customer - PC browsing speed OK, laptop AWFUL.

Hi

I have just switched to BT for my phone, broadband and TV. I had Sky Broadband before.

My broadband speed with Sky was around 6 mbs. Since moving to BT, I'm getting about 4 mbs for my desktop PC, which is connecting wirelessly to the BT Home Hub 4, and on my laptop I'm getting an appalling speed of around 0.2 mbs. This is the same even if I hold the laptop right next to the Home Hub. My desktop PC is upstairs, so it's much further away yet it's connection speed is much better.

My XBox is connected via ethernet to the Home Hub and it's OK. The laptop achieved speeds of 4mbs if I plug it straight into the Home Hub.

Something seems to be hindering the laptop's Wireless card. By the way, the laptop is a Pavilion m6 so it's pretty decent - and there's nothing wrong with it's Wi-Fi capability in general because it's perfectly fast when I connect it to my phone's mobile internet via Wi-Fi Hotspot...

I've tried a few different channels and the speeds remain exactly the same.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Nick

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: New BT broadband customer - PC browsing speed OK, laptop AWFUL.

Try updating the laptops wireless card drivers from the manufacturers website. This sorts out many problems.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

are you now on adslmax with BT- up speed at 448?  when you were with sky were you on their LLU service and not the connect service?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
nickjonezy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Sorry, I have never heard of adsl max - is that another name for fibre optic? I just have the standard broadband connection as we can't get fibre optic where I live.

I don't know what I had with Sky, either. Just the standard broadband package, I think.

I will try updating the laptop's wireless drivers. Thanks. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

check your exchange   does it show 21CN enabled?  does it show SKY as an LLU provider? 

check exchange here

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

ADSL max is the standard up to 8mb service 21cn is also known as ADSL2+ or with suppliers like Sky known as LLU
nickjonezy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Ah, I understand. Yes, here are the results for my area:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/MRCON

21CN is enabled and SKY is listed as a LLU provider.

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 13

@nickjonezy wrote:

Interesting, but not much help re: your problem 😞

Have you tried Keiths' suggestion ?

0 Ratings
nickjonezy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

THANKS EVERYONE! I tried Keith's suggestion and updated the Broadcom LAN driver. It took ages because of my terrible connection speed and also some unrelated issue with the HP site, but as soon as I updated it my speeds were 4 mbs.

I really appreciate your help, everyone 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

@IanC wrote:

@nickjonezy wrote:

Interesting, but not much help re: your problem 😞

Have you tried Keiths' suggestion ?

IanC

I was trying to establish why OP speed had dropped from 6mb to 4mb - and moving from LLu explained it  Just incase that was the next question.  it may still be

0 Ratings