cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

New BT customer getting FTTP 100 installed,confusion on location of Hub location?

As the above statement indicates, we are moving from Sky Q broadband to BT FFTP on 15/01/21 (covid willing) as Sky doesn't yet offer this choice in our area, so we have had the first Openreach visit with them pulling in a draw wire to the side of the house, now awaiting the next Engineers visit for the pulling in of the Fibre cable then entering it into the home.

Presently the entry point the fibre cable comes up at is on the exact opposite side of the house that our normal BT telephone socket is on, first question: does the fibre Hub etc need to be connected to the normal copper telephone socket in the first place. (as we are also getting the single free telephone that connects directly to the hub itself I believe), So I assume the Hub does not then need to be beside the main telephone socket,or am I incorrect in that assumption!

Second question: If its possible, can I get the fibre cable moved from the actual point it comes up from the front garden clipped along the outside wall, around to the any other side of the house (with or without a BT phone point by it)  for approximately a 10 metre run to keep the good lady happy on its location to an adjoining room.

Third and last question: Taking the previous questions into account is it also possible to say run the outside fibre cable straight up to the second floor level (easily reached by ladder) and into our spare room used as a computer room. Obviously all entry points im talking about will be next to a 240v power outlet.

Ps. Im more than happy to carry out any drilling from inside to outside if it helps the Engineer in his work

Many Thanks in advance 🙂 

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: New BT customer getting FTTP 100 installed,confusion on location of Hub location?

@007geezer wrote:

Presently the entry point the fibre cable comes up at is on the exact opposite side of the house that our normal BT telephone socket is on, first question: does the fibre Hub etc need to be connected to the normal copper telephone socket in the first place. (as we are also getting the single free telephone that connects directly to the hub itself I believe), So I assume the Hub does not then need to be beside the main telephone socket,or am I incorrect in that assumption!

If you are getting digital voice, the site of the existing copper connection is irrelevant as it will not be used.

Second question: If its possible, can I get the fibre cable moved from the actual point it comes up from the front garden clipped along the outside wall, around to the any other side of the house (with or without a BT phone point by it)  for approximately a 10 metre run to keep the good lady happy on its location to an adjoining room.

Possibly, need to talk to engineer on the day.

Third and last question: Taking the previous questions into account is it also possible to say run the outside fibre cable straight up to the second floor level (easily reached by ladder) and into our spare room used as a computer room. Obviously all entry points im talking about will be next to a 240v power outlet.

Possibly, need to talk to engineer on the day.

Ps. Im more than happy to carry out any drilling from inside to outside if it helps the Engineer in his work

Many Thanks in advance 🙂 

The ONT (optical modem) and Hub don't necessarily have to be co-located, you can run an Ethernet cable to connect the 2.