cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

New EE equipment not working as well as previous BT equipment

Hi,

We recently switched from a "BT" router with 3 black circular wifi-extender discs to the EE equivalent.  We have a complicated house with thick stone walls and various widely dispersed Ring devices.  Everything worked well and the only reason for the change was because a significantly lower monthly payment was offered.  The new equipment does not work anything like as well, in particular:

-  the wifi extenders often drop out ie go from blue to orange

- the connection to our Samsung Smart TV is now unreliable.  It seems to need to be reconnected (using WPS) on a regular basis.  Yesterday I could not even connect using WPS despite positioning the extender adjacent to the TV.

Can anyone advise?  Is the new EE equipment known to be inferior (it looks inferior) or is there something we should do?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: New EE equipment not working as well as previous BT equipment

First recommendation would be to just connect the Samsung TV WIFI to the WIFI SSID and Password using the Samsung Network Wizard, any reference to the old WIFI SSID that you used to have with TV, if it is there on the TV, delete it. Dont use WPS, its generally fine but its better to manually do it, get more visibility. Sure if this used to work on the old BT stuff better then I know its annoying to hear but its just not as reliable as connecting manually.

As far as I know the BT equipment would auto sense which WIFI channel to use, it could be that the EE WIFI equipment doesnt have you on the optimum channel. My BT WIFI discs I used to have would often change and then everything would go to **bleep**. Problem is if you dont really know what you are doing with that type of thing its sometimes best left on auto. You could try changing it however.

My house is all concrete and stone, WIFI is hard work but I would imagine the BT and EE gear is almost identical.

You are probably going to get asked to visit the EE forums by someone important soon: Home - The EE Community

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Thanks very much.  I'm not sure what the Samsung Network Wizard is?  My TV has options to connect by WPS or by entering the password manually,  neither of which work unfortunately (although the WPS did work a couple of days ago!)

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Oh I just meant entering it manually rather than WPS, if neither work with the access point that close to it then that is a bit bizarre.

Its EE gear, to be honest might be best checking on their forums.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings