cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

New FTTP install to House with CAT 6A Structured Cabling

Hi all, having our house rewired and the electrician has installed structured CAT 6A wiring which is all presented to a ground floor  utility room halfway down the side of the property. There is no current internet or phone provider to the property but there is an old BT master box near the front door. 

I am considering ordering one of the BT Full Fibre products.

*Can I request the master socket and Openreach Modem is installed in the utility room or is it set in stone to be  presented to the existing old master box near the front door.

*What is the best way to integrate internet access the new home network. Is it to connect the connect Port1/Lan1 port from the Openreach modem to the home network or is use of the BT home hub mandatory to access the internet? I know Virg*n offer some kind of 'modem mode' with their hub offering 

Any other thoughts or observations from anyone who has a similar installation would be much  appreciated. 

Many thanks and hope these questions make some kind of sense 🙂

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: New FTTP install to House with CAT 6A Structured Cabling

If you are having FTTP, there is no master socket required, the fibre terminates on the ONT (fibre modem). The location of the ONT is open to discussion with the engineer providing it within reason. You don't need to use the BT Hub (router) if you only want broadband and you can use a third party router. If, however, you require the digital voice service, that is only provided by means of the BT Hub as it is a combined router and Dect base station.

Message 3 of 3

Re: New FTTP install to House with CAT 6A Structured Cabling

Brilliant, this sounds like exactly what I need. Thanks so much for the reply. 

0 Ratings