cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

New Fibre 900 install

Hi I've just signed up for Full fibre 900 & would like to ask a couple of questions in preparation:

1.Can I use my current router which is a Netgear XR500 and get full speeds?If not any suggestions as it's primarily for gaming or will the hub supplied be suitable?

2 Any recommendations on homeplugs and what speeds could I expect on  full fibre,I've currently got TPLink 500 but assume these would need upgrading

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: New Fibre 900 install

@DavidSmith wrote:

Hi I've just signed up for Full fibre 900 & would like to ask a couple of questions in preparation:

1.Can I use my current router which is a Netgear XR500 and get full speeds?If not any suggestions as it's primarily for gaming or will the hub supplied be suitable?

Yes, you can use it, no idea how capable a device the XR500 is though.

2 Any recommendations on homeplugs and what speeds could I expect on  full fibre,I've currently got TPLink 500 but assume these would need upgrading

As the name suggests, they will be 500Mbps theoretical maximum and probably nowhere near that in practice. Doubtful any homeplugs are ever as fast as their theoretical speeds but upgrading might improve in the current ones. (excuse the pun) https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa8631p-kit/

Message 3 of 11

Bear in mind if you use a third party router you will lose access to Digital Voice which requires the BT hub.

Message 4 of 11

What's digital voice used for?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Phone calls

Message 7 of 11

Would I be better just using WiFi I appreciate there will be variables but have always used homeplugs to connect to various consoles, do you rate BT mini connectors V2 & would they be suitable?thanks
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

I have no personal experience of BT mini connectors but I doubt they are any faster than your current TP Link devices.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

My advice is to always hardwire networking wherever possible. Wireless and Powerline will always be second best.

Message 10 of 11

Hard wired not a possibility unfortunately with the increased speed I'm looking to maximise it either via WiFi or upgrading the homeplugs

0 Ratings