cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JasonH123
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

New House - Engineer Visited, Smart Hub 2 with Red Ethernet Cable no modem...

I've had the BT engineer round this morning to install the broadband and phone line, he wasn't allowed inside for obvious reasons so he could only do external work.

I received my hub last week in the post but I was provided with a red ethernet cable which won't go into the Master Socket 5c we have on the wall. The engineer was confused as to why I had received this type of set up as well.

The house is a new-build, we have hit and miss mobile signal (more miss than hit, no 4g,3g) presumably a phone line but no phones and no internet. My partner is 7.5 months pregnant and communication will be needed soon!

Does anyone know how I can get the internet with the kit provided? Or do I need to phone BT to sort something out? 

Many thanks

Jason

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: New House - Engineer Visited, Smart Hub 2 with Red Ethernet Cable no modem...

if new build do you have something like this in your home

ONT fttp_small_ont_2019.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
JasonH123
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Re: New House - Engineer Visited, Smart Hub 2 with Red Ethernet Cable no modem...

Sadly not - unless I've missed it, but all we have is a Master Socket 5c by the front door with 1 socket for a standard phone line cable

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Is there dial tone at the master socket?

0 Ratings
JasonH123
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

We haven't got any landline phones to try it out unless I can borrow one! Although if I ring the phone number we have been given it does ring if that's any use?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

You need to get a phone in order to check if your line is connected. Are you expecting to get FTTC or FTTP? What did the engineer do outside?

0 Ratings
JasonH123
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Wasn't sure what we were expecting but the kit we received indicated FTTP is it came with the red ethernet cable, I wasn't there when the engineer arrived as I'm still working so cannot say what he did sorry. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

I suspect it is FTTP, so if you haven't got an ONT fitted you won't be getting one until at least June.

0 Ratings
JasonH123
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

I've been on tracking and it says Phone line was installed but were confirming the date your fibre broadband will be set up.

If it's June then that's a problem!! I've only ordered 50MBPS Fibre so perhaps something can be done through the usual wires.. I don't know. 

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

First step is to confirm landline has been activated, try with a phone when you can.