cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
J-Abb-A
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

New Infinity 1 install

I've just signed up for Infinity 1 with BT TV and have been looking into options for connecting the Smart Hub. I've ascertained that the master socket is under our stairs (pics below), not an ideal location ~15m away from where the telly is and not a great location for WiFi signal currently.

As i understand it BT state that the Smart Hub Should be connected to the main socket, can someone please tell my what difference plugging into an extension socket, ~15m away, will have? Surly another few meters of CW1308 cable is not going to have any affect on the signal which has come ~2 miles from the exchange?!? 

What options do I have when wanting to put the Smart Hub close to the TV, and in a better location for WiFi signal around thew house and garden. 

Many thanks, 

Jamie 

DSC03143.jpg  DSC03146.jpg

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: New Infinity 1 install

Welcome to this user forum.

If that is your only socket, then there is nothing wrong in plugging in a single good quality extension cable into that socket. Do not plug anything else in, certainly not a phone splitter as your picture shows.

At the end of the extension cable, plug in a microfilter, then connect your phone, and the BT Home hub into that microfilter.

The extension cable will be short in comparison to the distance from the cabinet to your master socket.

If you want to extend the wireless range to different parts of the house, perhaps nearer to the garden, then these are a good choice.

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html

0 Ratings
J-Abb-A
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Many thanks Keith, for moving my post into a more appropriate location, and your swift response 🙂

I'll make sure to buy good quality 2-pair cable, is it just a case of placing another strand in sockets 2 & 5 with an IDC tool?

Kind regards,
Jamie

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

I don't what that cable is, but its not BT external cable. There must be either another socket or a junction box where the external cable terminates.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

As liquorice says the brown cable with the yellow and red wire is not a telecoms type cable. It looks more like an alarm type cable
Where does that cable meet the external cable coming from outside?
Could be an additional junction point
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
J-Abb-A
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

That's the thing, there's no other BT socket in the house, the cable goes through the skirting and no sign of any cable entering the house. My thought is is goes into a duct under the house?

Jamie

0 Ratings