cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 22

Re: New Infinity customer - compatible third-party routers?

There is this thread on the Asus https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/ASUS-DSL-AC68U-and-BT-Infinity-1-help/td-p/1740...

Bear in mind that all routers are limited to the same wireless power output, so its the external aerial configuration that has the most effect on wireless coverage.

I find my TP-Link TD-W9970 N300 covers the whole house. I only use 2.4GHz anyway, as 5GHz would have very limited coverage, and only a couple of my devices would benefit, and they are some distance away from the router. I did not see the point in spending any more money that was necessary.

I have no connection issues with wireless or wired devices.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 22

@slt76 wrote:
Thanks both for your comments. Improved WiFi over the HH5 was the main "Must". The TP link AC2800 or the Asus A68U (AC1900 version) now look to be favourites. If anyone has any good or bad experience with either would be good to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

I've got the Asus , as has my son , and I find the 2.4GHz coverage especially good. The 5GHz isn't bad either.

Mine is located in the centre of the house upstairs & I can get a reasonable speed some 75ft down the garden.

I run both TVs, an XBox one and a pair of iPads on 5GHz anywhere in the house without issue.

jazzguy
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 22

@slt76

I currently use the TP-Link VR2800 with Infinity. It works well. It has lots of bells and whistles if you need them.

Wi-fi performance is much better than the HH5b; slightly better than the HH6. 

Good luck!

0 Ratings
Odai
Contributor
Message 14 of 22

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Out of interest, does anyone notice any difference in connection sync or throughput speeds compared to the BT Hub when using either a separate VDSL modem like the Draytek Vigor 130 or a third-party router with VDSL modem built-in?

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 22

I can't help there as I've never used a HomeHub but from all the posts I've read on here over the past couple of years I don't think that any differences would be noticeable.

One of the main things about 3rd party devices is that they tend to be far more stable than the hubs so keeping a more consistent sync speed.

Odai
Contributor
Message 16 of 22

When you say third-party devices, would that include standalone modems like the Vigor 130?
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 22

Can't say from personal experience but have no reason to think that the Vigor would be any less reliable than the Asus or TP-Link offerings.

0 Ratings
Al94
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 22

After three failed Homehub 6 and an abortive attempt with a Netgear D7000 which went back to retailer for a refund after suffering well documented issues, I bought a TP Link Archer VR900 http://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_Archer-VR900.html which was easily set up in minutes and has worked flawlessy for several weeks with no drop outs and better speed than anything I have had before with BT Infinity. Also easy to connect a network drive via USB which just - works!

cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 22

Have also been using the TP-link Archer VR900 v1 for some time now. It’s rock solid with many devices connected. Dual band ac Wi-fi is strong throughout the house and its simple to setup. For anyone having problems with a HH the outlay for a third party router is well worth it for a stable no issues setup.

0 Ratings
slt76
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 22

Thanks again for all the comments. Have any of you guys using the VR900 got BT TV running through it?
0 Ratings