cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Odai
Contributor
Message 1 of 22

New Infinity customer - compatible third-party routers?

Hello

I recently placed an order for BT Infinity Unlimited 1, the day my cabinet went live. 

My service is due to go live on the 1st February, and the Smart Hub is meant to be delivered a couple of days before. However, I do not intend to use it as a router as I rely on various advanced features of third-party routers that are not present on the Hub. 

I currently have a router with a built in ADSL modem, but will be replacing it with a new model. I initially thought of purchasing a new router-only unit (no modem), and using the WAN port to connect to the Hub. However, my understanding is the Hub will not function only as a modem. Is this correct?

If so, I would need a router that has a VDSL compatible modem built in. I've got some potential choices picked out (Netgear, Asus) which are labelled as VDSL/VDSL2 compatible. How exactly do I check whether a unit is compatible with BT's service though? I understand there are different standards and profiles that are described as VDSL so I'm guessing two different units can have wildly different levels of compatibilty even if both are described as being VDSL modems.

I'd want the unit to be future proof too, so that it would be compatible with G.Fast and Vectoring should I be lucky enough for Openreach to update our cabinet with these technologies.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Odai.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 22

Re: New Infinity customer - compatible third-party routers?

You are correct, the hub cant function as a modem only.  For a modem that would let you use your existing router, it should have either a dedicated WAN port or the ability to repurpose a LAN port as a WAN, you have a choice of 3 devices that function as modems.  A used Openreach modem, available on ebay.  A Netgear DM200, which is a limited capability router that can be configured as a modem or a DrayTek Vigor 130.  The DrayTek is a pure modem, needing no configuration - it works right out of the box.

If you want a VDSL router then you might want to take a look here:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/11/calling-clarity-openreachs-broadband-modem-conformance...

Scroll down the page for a list of approved devices.  If you need or want IPv6 then avoid Netgear, they don't do IPv6 properly.  Check the Netgear forum for info.  From the list you can check the features of each router by downloading the manual from the manufacturers web site.  If the description says VDSL then it will work with Infinity.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 22

I've run an Asus DSL-AC68U for several years now & it's been absolutely great.

However, it's not G.Fast compatible but it's replacement the DSL-AC88U is so that would be my choice @ around £200

0 Ratings
Odai
Contributor
Message 4 of 22

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

The only combined modem/router products I can find are not listed on the compatibility list. I'm sure they'd work fine but would rather have a guarantee regarding functionality and in case of any problems down the line. 

I'm guessing then the best option is to get the Draytek unit and hook it up to a router of my choice! 

From what I can tell, the Draytek Vigor 130 is not G.fast compatible, so I'd need to purchase a new unit when we're finally lucky enough for the roll-out to reach us?

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 22

I guess the answer to the G.fast compatibility will depend on how long it's going to be before your cabinet is enabled.  It could be quite a while.  The Vigor 130 works fine here, never any issues and you can use whatever router you like then.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 22

@Liam_ wrote:

I guess the answer to the G.fast compatibility will depend on how long it's going to be before your cabinet is enabled.  It could be quite a while.  The Vigor 130 works fine here, never any issues and you can use whatever router you like then.

Might depend if IPTV - BT Sport etc - is required then the choice needs to be very carefully made.

0 Ratings
slt76
Contributor
Message 7 of 22

I'm in exactly the same position as the OP but have BT TV also so would appreciate any guidance or advice from you guys on what will or can be made to work with the IP TV also. Thanks
0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 22

I personally don't use any IPTV services but a router that has support for IGMP snooping in it's settings should be fine.  Most I imagine will.  Just check the makers website for the model number of the ones you like the looks/price of.

TP-Link, Asus, Netgear spring to mind.  Though if IPv6 is important to you then avoid Netgear.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

Even the cheapest TP-Link TD-W9970 N300 (£30) works on IPTV.

Settings on this pageBT Youview settings

0 Ratings
slt76
Contributor
Message 10 of 22

Thanks both for your comments. Improved WiFi over the HH5 was the main "Must". The TP link AC2800 or the Asus A68U (AC1900 version) now look to be favourites. If anyone has any good or bad experience with either would be good to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
0 Ratings