cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alan63
Expert
Message 1 of 5

New Modems - guidance sought

Hi community, hope you're enjoying the end of summer!!

It's been ages since I last changed my hardware. And so i'm looking for guidance.

My current set up is openreach modem  >> apple 2tb time capsule (for all the techy stuff).  I like the simplicity it gives me. I've got a couple of apple airports that extend the wifi perfectly. It's the time capsule that I'm worried about - it's old now and Apple don't make 'em anymore. I love them - the wifi backup etc make my life simples, solid, rarely falters etc. Anyhow.

So - requirements...

1. I want a nice stress free life

2. Dead simple set up, and

3. All wifi - no hard wired at all and i'm good on that.

- what is the best config that people recommend. Don't care if it's separates or combo's. I like the look of the new disc 'mesh' options etc but don't know if they are any good.

But - I'm not keen on those that look like mutant spiders - they're scary stuff and I suspect my neighbour's dog would attack it.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: New Modems - guidance sought

If you present system is doing everything that you want why change it. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Alan63
Expert
Message 3 of 5

Yeah - that is exactly my go to mode of operation 🙂 and it's served me well.

I'm just worried that should the time capsule fail (its 10 yrs old) then i'm a bit stuck as to what i might do.

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

The time capsule you have would seem to be the old flat style so why not upgrade to the latest model which came out in 2013. Or get an AirPort Extreme with attached external HDD. Even new ones come up occasionally on eBay, that will give you a spare back up which will fit in easily with what you already have.

0 Ratings
Alan63
Expert
Message 5 of 5

I like that suggestion. Food for thought . Thanks

0 Ratings