Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
h0race
Message 1 of 4

New Smart Hub 2: Macbooks will not connect to network

Hi

I'd be really grateful for some advice.

We recently upgraded our Smart Hub to a Smart Hub 2 (with one disc). It's been great for the most part.

We have a number of different devices in the house - windows  laptops, android phones, media players etc - and they all connect to the network without issue.

We also have two Macbooks, both running the latest OS. Neither will connect to the Smart Hub 2 (they continuously connect and disconnect every few seconds). The only solution I have found so far is to switch off the 5ghz band in the hub settings. Both Macbooks connect normally when this is done.

I'm no expert, but am I right in thinking this has something to do with the Smart Hub 2 not having the facility to split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands?

Is there a way I can get the Macbooks to connect to the network without switching off 5ghz?

Thanks

Martin

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: New Smart Hub 2: Macbooks will not connect to network

0 Ratings
h0race
Message 3 of 4

Thanks Keith

I'll have a look at those links.

Interestingly, switching the 5ghz band back on while the Macbooks are connected immediately causes them to go back to a connect/disconnect loop. They are of different vintages (2012 and 2017) so I suspect it's a software (rather than hardware) issue.

The Macbooks had no problems with the previous Smart Hub, which I set up with split bands (with different names). 

Is there a technical reason why the Smart Hub 2 does not allow this?

Cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

@h0race wrote:

Is there a technical reason why the Smart Hub 2 does not allow this?

The BT Device team say its so they can work with the black disks. It causes lots of issues with dual band devices, especially Apple products.

See if there is an answer on that thread, if not, then you can always post on that thread, which is supposed to be monitored by the BT Devices team.

If you cannot find a resolution, you may be better going back to the original home hub 6 and sending the black disk back.

There are plenty of alternative ways to improve wireless coverage, which do not suffer from this problem.

0 Ratings