cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philmcleod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

New Smart Hub 2 & Sky Q losing connection

I have a Smart Hub 2 and Sky Q. The Sky box often looses connection and I understand this is a common problem as Sky prefer to connect with Sky broadband. I believe the issue is related to the BT "Smart" function and the solution is to change the BT Hub channel. If so what is the best channel

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: New Smart Hub 2 & Sky Q losing connection

I have SKYQ and 3 mini boxes all wifi connected to SH2 and have no problems  i sued a wifi analyser and selected best channels for me and currently use 1 for 2.4 and 44 for 5ghz

all my SKY connects to 2.4ghz from my device connection stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
philmcleod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

I have read that this is a known problem for some but not all. Sky know its an issue and Sky forums say it is connected with the BT Smart feature and that Smart set up should be turned off. I have Smart setup off but hub wifi details show 2.4GHz as Smart (Channel 1) A sky person I spoke to said his brother had the same issue and BT told him what channel to change to but I cant get any sense out of BT chat
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

go to hub manager then wireless the you can turn off auto select for the channel and then manually select the channel that is best for you.  I seem to remember reading to avoid channel 36 on 5ghz

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
philmcleod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Not sure what that will do as Sky uses only 2.4GHz unless it is connecting to Sky broadband
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

The main SKYQ hub is connecting wireless to the minis

Selecting the channel manually for 2.4ghz makes it stable as against hub changing channel if another router nearby selects the hub smart channel  entirely up to you - but mine works

0 Ratings
philmcleod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Can you clarify please. Do you mean another another router in another house of in my case another flat

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

if there is another router near you whether in your home if you have 2 broadband packages or neighbours regardless of which ISP then if the are using same channel as your SH2 then the 'smart' will change your wireless channel and may cause a problem for SKYQ

use a wifi analyser on your phone to see what routers and channels are in use near you 

0 Ratings
philmcleod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Thanks - understood. The apartment below me may be interfering so I will take 2.4GHz of Smart and give it a try
0 Ratings