cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Notherloginame
Beginner
Message 11 of 17

Re: New Smart Hub looks to be blocking onedrive

It's Web Protect that is blocking access to Onedrive through a browser, nothing to do with the Hub per se.

The workaround (turn off Web Protect) is listed on OneDrive's 'recent issues' page.

Given BT's atrocious implementation of most of its tech, I doubt it's much of a loss anyway.

NB: Web Protect is not an antivirus application and should not be confused with such. Web Protect is 'meant' to flag up potentially malicious sites, nothing more. I doubt it does that very well at all.

Of course, if you've installed a OneDrive app, or are using Windows 10 with OneDrive integrated then different protocols are used to connect and aren't affected by Web Protect. Web Protect only applies when you're using an internet browser.

If did try to report this issue to BT, but they had no idea what I was reporting.

tldr: Turn off BT Web Protect to enable web access to OneDrive. Web Protect is not an adequate AV solution (neither is is an adequate web filter imho).

Message 12 of 17

Spot on - turn off web protect and I'm back into OneDrivLive - thank you!  🙂

Hang your heads in shame BT IT dept - until you can advise how we can allow certain web sites!!! 😕

0 Ratings
Notherloginame
Beginner
Message 13 of 17

BT should hang its head in shame for being so poor with technology. Web Protect is pretty useless anyway, so simply turning it off is the best option.
0 Ratings
riversmeade
Beginner
Message 14 of 17

"We've had several users report the same issue as you. After speaking with our support team, it looks like the problem is on BT's end. We encourage you to contact BT to let them know you're experiencing an issue. We've also discovered a workaround that's been successful for some of our users. Go to My BT > turn off BT Web Protect"

That has worked for me...

Highlighted
stewartv
Contributor
Message 15 of 17

Same here - spent days trying to figure out why the web access to Onedrive was not working as I needed to look at the recycle bin.

I am astonished that BT seem to treat Onedrive as if it were a malicious site - and they still have legacy email issues which they do not truly acknowledge has issues despite hundreds of posts.

Please get the Onedrive access sorted and fix the Web Protect that is claimed to be so good at protecting us.....

0 Ratings
MAGICWAND45
Message 16 of 17

Yeah

Found this out as well.

Access to https://onedrive.live.com worked ok when I tethered to my Vodafone 4G hotspot.

Disabling BT Web Protect solved the problem.

This is probably down to the older TLS version being decommissioned 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4057306/preparing-for-tls-1-2-in-office-365 

0 Ratings
smami01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 17

I have experienced the same problem.  I contacted BT by phone who were astonished and said that no one else had claimed.  They asked me to clear all my browser caches etc. Eventually told me to do a factory reset on the Home Hub - this worked for a couple of days and then the problem returned.

Interestingly it does not block access to my Office 365 work account.

0 Ratings