cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

New build ONT in utility room - can I set-up router in my living room?

Hello,

I have just moved to a place that has an Openreach ONT in the utility room. I can currently get Ethernet connection to my games console by connecting the ONT directly to the router in the cupboard and then by plugging an Ethernet cable into socket 1 near the ONT, which leads to my living room as the media plate has an Ethernet socket also labelled 1.

I would also like to connect my smart TV using Ethernet but I would have to use a splitter (would this effect the speeds?) with the current set-up.

Ideally I would have my router in the living room and connect various devices through Ethernet from the back of the hub. I have tried various combinations of plugging Ethernets/patch cables (don’t really know the difference) from the ONT to socket 1 and then plugging the router into socket 1 in the living room, but I fail to get an internet connection, like I do with the above set-up. 

I also have a socket 2 that goes to the living room but don’t plan on using that for now, otherwise the first set-up would be preferred. 

Can anyone please help? Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: New build ONT in utility room - can I set-up router in my living room?

@SPDChemist 

Where is the BT Smart Hub 2 located at the moment?

smart hub 2.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Are you using the same patch leads in both scenarios? The only reason I can see that the router doesn't work in the Lounge is a faulty cable/patch lead.

Have you tried patching to the second link to see if it works?

If you keep the current configuration, you need an unmanaged Ethernet switch in the Lounge not a splitter.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

@licquoriceI have tried to the other port (number 2) and this one (number 1) and they both worked for a period. Number 1 worked for a period of 20 min and then stopped and I couldn't get it working again. Number 2 I think worked up until I moved it.

I'll try again tonight and see how it goes.

Could you please tell me what types of cable I need between the following:

ONT--->ethernet port 1 utility cupboard--------------------> ethernet port 1 living room--->router--->device 

?                                                                    behind wall connection                                       ? ( into WAN or LAN?)

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

@Keith_Beddoe In the utility cupboard, which is okay as my flat is only small, but I'd prefer it to be in the living room for more access to ethernet ports and slightly better Wi-Fi coverage.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

As @licquorice  has said, you just need the modem to home hub WAN port extended, assuming the builder terminated the cable correctly, and used good quality cable.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

My set up is similar with the fibre coming into a central room but the builder forgot to run an ethernet cable out of the room to anywhere, just a traditional telephone cable, so I had BT send me a Powerline plug so I connected fibre box cable to powerline and then at the other end, powerline into the router.

I would check the internal cable to make sure it is properly connected.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Theoretically, you can have up to 100m between the ONT and the router, although most techies wouldn’t try to push it that far.

“Ethernet/patch cable”.  No such thing as Ethernet cable.  Ethernet is a signal specification that can be passed over multiple cable types.  The expression “patch cable” refers to its use rather than its type.  A bit like the expression “mains cable”.  Both expressions are pretty meaningless.  Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable is what you want.

I wouldn’t take it for granted the cable in the wall is working properly.  As installing network cabling is pretty new, most builders/sparkies don’t have a clue what they are doing.  Doing it well is a bit more skilled than mains wiring.

You mentioned a socket 2.  I assume there is also a socket 2 in the utility room?  Have you tried using that?  Remember, you need to connect to the WAN port on the router, not the LAN ports.

If you stick with the router in the utility room, as Liquorice has already said, you want a gigabit, unmanaged switch.  A switch also acts as a signal repeater and should not lose any speed.  Even if it is handling a lot of devices at the same time any latency is negligible.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

"No such thing as Ethernet cable"

That's simply not true, its just not used that much any more.

Also, mains wiring is more complex than you obviously realise. Its not just running cables and tightening some connections. Loading and heat dissipation, zonal restrictions, Part P restrictions just to name a few. Have a look at BS7671 18th edition,

Becoming a qualified electrician is harder than learning to punch down on some Cat6 cable.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

So from what you have said
ONT to router WAN port then router LAN port into socket 1 then out of socket 1 in the living room to console works ?

So ONT to socket 1, then socket 1 in living room into the router WAN port then from the router LAN ports to the console should also work, does it ?
0 Ratings