Highlighted
bobwilly
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

New build house and position of BT hub

Go to solution

Hi guys.

I hope somebody can help me with this.

I'm buying a new house and have been informed it will be fibre to the property.

I understand the entry point and therefore the master socket  will be in the hall.

The builder has said there will also be BT sockets in the lounge and a couple of bedrooms.

I don't want the BT hub in tha hall and would like it to be in the lounge instead.

Cnsidering the wiring setup can the hall be used simply as a connecting point and have the master socket in the lounge?  

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: New build house and position of BT hub

Go to solution

The person to speak to would be the builder. He will be in contact with Openreach who are responsible for the installation, and should be able to ask then to place the Equipment where you want it. 

0 Ratings
bobwilly
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks gg30340 for replying

As far as I know the fibre will enter the property in the hallway so I assume this would be the natural place for the master socket and hub.

The builder installs cables to the lounge and bedrooms for extension sockets as the property is built.

Should I ask the builder to run a special cable from the hall where the fibre will enter the property to the lounge where I want the hub to be or will the extension socket wiring be ok for this.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

If you are getting Fibre to the Premises there is more than just a phone socket. Very basically, when the Fibre comes into the property there is a Fibre modem/battery pack installed and your Smarthub/router will connect to that.

I suggest that you have a talk with the builder to see what exactly he is going to do. Most people would prefer the modem installed in an accessible cupboard and Ethernet cable run from that to where they want the hub.

See link

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36968/~/how-is-bt-infinity-fibre-to-the-home-install...

0 Ratings
bobwilly
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks so much for the information.

I didn't realise I would need more than just the master socket I have right now.

I would want the fibre modem installed at the point where fibre enters the  property to minimise surface wiring.

If I follow you correctly then.....I need to ask the builder to run an ethernet  Cat5/6 cable from the fibre modem to where I want the home hub.

Would you mind confirming if I have this right and have understood you correctly please?

Also.......can you tell me how telepone side of the installation  connects.

Is there a socket on the fibre modem to plug a phone into and how would the extension sockets connect to this?

I really appreciate your help with this. Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@bobwilly wrote:

Thanks so much for the information.

I didn't realise I would need more than just the master socket I have right now.

I would want the fibre modem installed at the point where fibre enters the  property to minimise surface wiring. Correct. 

If I follow you correctly then.....I need to ask the builder to run an ethernet  Cat5/6 cable from the fibre modem to where I want the home hub. That is correct. It will depend on the whether or not the property is finished as to how the builder can run the cable. Obviously if it has not been completed yet he may be able to run the cable inside the walls or under the floor with the start and end terminated with an Ethernet socket so all you would need to do is plug a short Ethernet cable into the modem and socket at one end and the hub and socket at the other end. 

Would you mind confirming if I have this right and have understood you correctly please?

Also.......can you tell me how telepone side of the installation  connects.

Is there a socket on the fibre modem to plug a phone into and how would the extension sockets connect to this? The phone plugs into the Tel 1 socket on the modem.  I am not a telephone engineer so I can not advise on the wiring to the extensions and the way this is done.

I really appreciate your help with this. Thanks

bobwilly
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks gg30340

The house construction is at a vey early stage so everything can be concealed in the walls.

You may not be an engineer but the technical information you have given me this evening will be invaluable when I speak to the builder.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
Most fibre to the premises installs I have seen all the equipment is installed into a cupboard (under the stairs) there are then cat 5/6 cables running to strategic points around the house, with outlet sockets on each end. (Don't forget the sky/digi box) you can then patch through to the hub. Don't forget future proofing (fridge, cctv etc)
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
bobwilly
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks Devon _Dave.

Since yesterday I've done some research and managed to find a lot of information on the openreach site, in particular a developers guide that has fact sheets and guides for equipment and wiring

In my case the entry point will be in the hallway, so this is where the ONT (Optical Network Termination) point will be.

The ONT ony has one ethernet and one telephony port so I will be having one Cat6 cable from the ONT to where the hub will be and then feed the other rooms from there. 

gg30340 and yourself have been very helpful. Thanks

0 Ratings