Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Samtiff
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

New build set up query

Go to solution

I have just moved into a new build which has a BT ONT installed in a cupboard in the hall. There seems to be a master socket next to the ONT. There is also a media panel in the living room with a socket also.

ONT.jpg

I have looked all over the BT site, in this community, and I have tried the chat service but still not had my questions answered and wondered if someone could help.

1 - Do I plug the hub directly into the ONT? If so why have BT put this in a cupboard with a door, surely it will block the WiFi signal?

2 - If I want to use the socket in the living room, which would make more sense, do I plug the grey ethernet that currently is dangling from the ONT into the socket that is next to it ?... could that be a way to link them up?

3 - Where do I plug in my phone. Each socket only has one port? Do I need a splitter?

My service is not swiched on until tomorrow but I am trying to get prepared as we have already been let down by Virgin Media and the houshold need the net for work and sanity reasons. πŸ™‚

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: New build set up query

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

The home hub would have to plug directly into the ONT or via an Ethernet cable link,

Is that socket on the wall an RJ42 Ethernet socket, if so you could use that to link the ONT to the home hub.

You phone would plug into the phone (TEL1 ?) socket on the ONT.

If there is only one socket to the other room, then you would have to use a phone system with a base unit, and plug that directly into the ONT.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

I cannot actually see any optical cable plugged into the ONT, are you sure it going to be working tomorrow?

Have you received the home hub yet, the one with the special WAN socket?

0 Ratings
Samtiff
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Yes I have the hub with the WAN.

The optical cable could be in the wall as the system was put in during construction. There are lights flashing!

0 Ratings
Samtiff
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

It appears the one on the wall is a RJ42 Ethernet socket. I  also openned the ONT and saw a phone jack on the actual box, so maybe I am suposed to keep my phone in the cupboard too. πŸ™‚

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@Samtiff wrote:

Yes I have the hub with the WAN.

The optical cable could be in the wall as the system was put in during construction. There are lights flashing!

Even if its in the wall, it has to connect to a port on the bottom. If you look undeneath, can you see a connector marked Optical, or similar, is there anything connected to it? What lights are flashing?

Its possible its a new type of ONT, with the optical connector hidden behind a cover.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Its one of these https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co.uk/resources/site1/General/Downloads/ONT%20Factsheet.pdf

new ont2.jpg

So all the connectors are inside, nice and neat.

Unless the builders have fitted a separate phone socket as well as an Ethernet one, you either have to keep the phone or phone base unit, in the cupboard, or run a phone extension cable to where you want the phone,

You can extend the Ethernet port using the RJ42 socket, and put the home hub at the other end.

Samtiff
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

There is an optical cable in in the ONT. It has a green end. Not sure where it leads.  I just checked it. I had to open the plastic case thingy.

There are no flashing lights yet. Only solid power ones and that there are no faults. The PON and TEL lights are not on yet as the service is not swthed on until tomorrow. So I suspect they will come on then. I think I am feeling more confident, I just wish I knew how they had wired up this socket in the living room and if they are connected. I suspect I will have to have a play when the lights come on.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

It sounds hopeful. On the older ONTs there was a LOS LED, to indicate losss of optical input.

What have the builders fitted in the living room, I assume the other end of the Ethernet connection is there? A photo may help to understand what they have done.

Samtiff
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Brilliant - thanks. That helps me. I appreciate it.

0 Ratings