cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

New build with EchoLife HG8110H-20 GPON Terminal (and network??)

I've just moved into a new build flat which has an Outreach GPON terminal fitted (as above). Unfortunately no one has been available/able to explain to me what this terminal does ……… yes I know it's to do with the incoming broadband signal (I believe it's fibre optic). What I need to know is it's practical use. Each of my rooms appears to have a 'telephone' socket in the wall which I understand is somehow linked (network?) to the GPON. I was under the impression that I could access the broadband signal via this socket. I've just subscribed to BT TV in the expectation that I could plug the ethernet cable into these sockets, but apparently not 😖  What I'm trying to find out is whether or not I can solve the problem by using an ADSL Micro filter into the sockets then the ethernet cable??  My BT Hub is connected into the GPON Terminal and hence to the 'network' ……. am I right or have I got this totally wrong?? I don't want to go off and buy mini controllers unless I absolutely have to, which is why I'm considering the ADSL filter first.

Enlightenment would be greatly appreciated 😊

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: New build with EchoLife HG8110H-20 GPON Terminal (and network??)

patchpanel2.png

Does this help.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 13

An ONT, optical network termination , is where you would connect your router , if you have ordered broadband then usually a router would be sent , with instructions on how to connect it.

You could just use WiFi to connect to the router, but some builder/developers install an Ethernet network around the house , typically one may go to where the TV socket aerial and power sockets are,  so , for example , if you connect one of the routers Ethernet sockets to the correct patch panel socket , and  you use the Ethernet socket behind the TV to connect a smart TV.

You don’t need filters with FTTP, and you cannot fit a phone jack into an Ethernet RJ45 socket

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

You have FTTP - Fibre to the Premises. All Internet and phone are now supplied through this. You now need to connect a network patch lead from one of the yellow LAN ports on your hub to one of the network sockets in the wall also near the openreach ONT, which will feed the signal to another LAN port in the room where you require your BTTV box . (There may be more than one going to other rooms so you will need to find out which socket feeds which room).

If you require a phone line you can only have Digital Voice, which is a VOIP system. BT has phones for this purpose that pair to the hub.

I doubt BT will tell you the VOIP settings so that you can use a non-BT VOIP phone system though. 😞

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Thanks for the response, just printing it out. Looks really useful, I'm sure it'll be a great help once digested!!

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Thanks for your response, my BT hub is connected to the GPON as you say it came with instructions and I'm using the wifi, no problem. What aren't  explained are the wall sockets and how to access them 😖

Definitely getting there now you guys are answering my questions 👍

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Thanks for the response, that's really helpful. I'm not bothering with the landline, have mobile so it seems a bit redundant.

There's a wall socket placed next to the GPON, my BT hub is connected into Port1, so I guess I need to plug one of the LAN ports on the hub to that wall socket, the hopefully the BTTV box cable into the wall socket next to the TV. Perhaps I'm being stupid, but the ethernet cable that comes with the TV box doesn't plug into the wall socket. Is there some sort of adaptor needed?? 🤔
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

All your internal wiring is nothing to do with BT and would have been provided by the builders. If done correctly, all the data sockets should be RJ45, i.e the same as the yellow LAN sockets on the hub.

Are you sure you aren't trying to use a telephony socket rather  than a data socket next to the TV.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Hi there, after looking at my earlier responses I had reached the same conclusion about the internal wiring. The builders are still on site, so I'm going to have to try and have a chat with someone.

I had a really good look at the sockets too, and they're definitely not telephone Jack's. They're slightly wider and narrower than RJ45 sockets. Hopefully speaking to the builders electricians will provide some insight. I certainly hope so.

Thanks for your help, I certainly know a lot more now than I did before!!!!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 13

Perhaps upload a picture of the sockets?  Ethernet sockets like on the back of the Hub are RJ45 - there is a smaller version called RJ11 used only for phone connections not data.

0 Ratings