cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Khaleesi
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

New customer issues

I recently moved over from virgin in the hope to get a better service. Wired connection is great, wifi on 2g is good but 5g is shocking. I can't download onto my iPad or phone, I can't browse the Internet or social media with the ease I expect as it takes a while to download content, open pages and generally do normal things. There is 5 of us in this house hold all with technology so I don't expect to all use the same frequency. Isn't that why modern routers have both 2g and 5g? I have tested this by switching between the 2 in various occasions during the past few days! This is not acceptable. Using the BT app to speed test shows as fine so I have no idea why on 5 g we struggle to do anything?
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: New customer issues

Try separating and renaming the SSIDs.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/related/1

0 Ratings
Khaleesi
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Il get my fiancé to sort it tomorrow. With virgin I had no issues with the 2.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

It doesn't matter whether you all use the same frequency or not, there is more than enough wireless bandwidth for 5 simultaneous users. You will all have to share the broadband bandwidth which will be much lower anyway.

0 Ratings
Khaleesi
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Tried everything in that guide and it was fine for a short time and now it's back to the same laggy bag of **bleep**!!!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Make sure you have turned off "smart setup" on the Homehub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

also remember that the 5Ghz signal covers a shorter range
0 Ratings
Khaleesi
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Smart setup is off always had been and we are in the same room as the hub any closer and we are sitting on it.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

are you selecting the wifi channels manually or using automatic?

you can try downloading inssider3 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

inssider3.1.2.1

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Khaleesi
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Also done that with the channels. I'm going to call BT today as its not on we are not getting the full service we are paying for!
0 Ratings