Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nickcrisp
Beginner
Message 1 of 325

New firmware kills VPN

Hi

Last week my router upgraded to firmware version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.37 (Type A).

Since then I have been unable to connect to VPN's at any of my clients, either wireless or wired.

My laptop can connect fine using other broadband connections.

How can I get my VPN connections working again.

Thanks

Nick

0 Ratings
324 REPLIES 324
Barry57
Expert
Message 2 of 325

Re: New firmware kills VPN

Might  need an "none bt" modem or one of those unlocked openreach ones that gets rid of bt's softtware.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/planning-to-get-myself-an-unlocked-openreac...

Another Isp (aaisp) notes that bt software is affecting things 😞

There seems to be problems abound with the 5A

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 325

Same for me. Update to 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.37 (Type A) over the weekend. Now work VPNs don't work on any device from inside my home network.

I have confirmed that the issue is specific to me. Everything else works.

For a, not at all brilliant, workaround I have found that if I connect to the BT-FON connection on my own router like an outsider, I can connect throught that.

BT Support were utter rubbish. Just told me to get my office to set it up properly, but clearly the update. Worked before for ever and ever. Muttered about port-forwarding and VPN being a business function - as if - anyone working from home at any time might need to connect to a workplace by VPN. Also blathered on about setting up port-forwarding, as if it is in any way acceptable that only one device at a time could use a VPN or that it should be necessary to do this. Poor show.

Can't connect to a basic PPTP VPN at work using the standard Windows 7 VPN Connection tool. 

Update cannot be rolled back. Stuck with it.

Might try resetting to factory defaults, but would be nice to have a confirmation that this will work before I bother to set it up again. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 325

It may be just coincidence, but its worth checking a couple of things.

Make sure you are opted out of web address help

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14244/~/about-bt-web-address-help

Make sure your IP address is not being shared.

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44044/c/6433

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 325

Hi Guys,

Take a look Here for help with the VPN, that article is just in case you haven't opted out of BT Web Address Help. BT Web Address Help can cause issues with some VPNs.

In case that doesn't help I have also raised this with the Hub team.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
nickcrisp
Beginner
Message 6 of 325

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions, I've checked web address help and IP sharing.

Web address help is disabled and my IP address is not shared.

The VPN's have worked fine for over 12 months until the last update.

Not being able to provide my services to my clients is now starting to causing me problems.

Very disappointed.

Nick

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 325

@nickcrisp wrote:

Not being able to provide my services to my clients is now starting to causing me problems.

Very disappointed.

Nick

As it sound like you are running a business on a residential account, it may be better to use BT Business broadband, with proper support for VPN?

BT actually forbid you using a residential account for commercial use.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 325

Hi.

Yes, many thanks for the suggestions. Far more plausible than what the BT Helpline had to offer.

Nevertheless, like Nick, my IP is not shared and disabling web address help has not fixed the issue.

If you're struggling, Nick, try using the BT-FON connection on your hub which is like connecting to a public hotspot. I can confirm VPN works for me when connected to that, though it is not ideal.

I have investigated other potential causes such as Windows updates but none have been applied in the timeframe. The only discernible change is the firmware update.

I'm going to try a factory reset on the router now to see if that resolves things, and will update later. Perhaps the firmware is just not quite compatible with the settings I have created, though I doubt it, as everything else seems to work OK and I haven't changed much at all.

I'm very glad to hear that this willl be raised with the hub team. This was really all I wanted to hear from the support helpline but they preferred to tell me that my router was out of warranty so the only solution was to sign up for another 12 or 24 month contract and get a new hub. Explaining that breaking someone's router with an OTA update then asking them to sign up for a new contract to fix it was effectively extortion, seemed not to concern them a jot. Hopefully the much improved service received from this forum will avoid the need to phone Watchdog. Perhaps you could also raise the issue of trying to extort contracts out of people with the support helpline.

Rant over. I really do appreciate the offer of plausible solutions over talking to someone who thinks a VPN is a games console, even if the problem has not been resolved.

Many thanks,

Rob

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 325

OK. Factory reset completed and the issue is not resolved...

So, perhaps if I explain the symptoms in more detail.

1. The VPN does connect initially. The usual messages pop up, such as verifying username and password, registering your computer on the network etc. and drop away as if the process has been a success. Furthermore I am able to run IP config and see that I have been assigned an IP on the remote network. I can, albeit very briefly, resolve the addresses of names on the remote network and get some sort of connection to machines located on it. The network adminstrator also reports that the logs say have I have connected successfully and my computer appears on the network.

2. However, just a few seconds later I am disconnected, every time. Sometimes almost instantaneously, sometimes after as long as 20 seconds.

Logs at both ends suggest a failure at my end to respond to "echo requests". Something is blocking an LCP protocol designed, I guess, to verify that the connection is alive, and the VPN server resets it.

Again, there are many users of this VPN service and I am the only one having problems. Also I nevcer had any problems with it prior to this weekend past when the firmware update was applied and, to the best of my knowledge, no other updates have occurred, such as Windows updates to my laptop which may also have the potential to cause an issue (I have checked the update history). Also, like Nick, I am able to connect the laptop to the VPN through other internet connections, including BT-FON.

Best regards

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 325

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

As it sound like you are running a business on a residential account, it may be better to use BT Business broadband, with proper support for VPN?

BT actually forbid you using a residential account for commercial use.

BT may indeed forbid that, but the ability to VPN into a work connection from home to check emails, etc cannot sensibly be defined as "commercial use".

BT's attitude to the HomeHub is disgraceful:

- VPN? Not our problem

- Connect your TV to the internet? Oooh, no, not our problem

- DLNA? Isn't that for your driving licence?

- Compatible with Apple devices? As your internet's working OK, that's not our problem

- Use what? A Vodafone Sure Signal? What's that?

- You want online gaming to work properly? Ha ha ha ha

- Your wireless won't work upstairs? Use a wire.

- etc

The Homehub, in a nutshell, is a piece of cr*p. But BT clearly aren't bothered, as they feel largely untouched by competition, and most people who are coming across these problems are linked into a lengthy contract. 

The best solution is to buy a third party router, but sadly that hurts BT not one bit, and from then on you also can't get support - not that the support is any good either!