cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
charliebunny
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

New house - wifi signal not available in annexe. Need advice.

Hi
I wonder if anyone can help me. Sorry, I'm not very technical!

We moved house this week and out home hub (3) does not cover this new house. It is a bungalow but a weird long shape with an annexe - which is where I live and wifi will not connect there (I got a limited signal at best and that did nothing).
I tried phoning the helpline last night but after two seperate calls each lasting well over an hour I still hadn't been helped (I don't think they understood what I was getting at!). We have moved the hub closer but then my father doesn't get a signal in his office, so that won't work.

I have looked on the site at the 'mini hub' and the range of extenders etc - which is best? Basically I want something I can just plug in to this part of the house, which will then give me wifi here on the same contract as the main hub as I work from home. The website here is not very helpful, just listing the specs! We are long term BT customers.

Or would a second normal hub be better? I do have the points to attach one.

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: New house - wifi signal not available in annexe. Need advice.

0 Ratings
charliebunny
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Thank you.

Is that better than the 'mini hub' that they are advertising alongside the 'Smart hub' and the black 500 version then? It's so difficult to tell which is the newest, best version! I've just been googling about powerline etc and it does seem like the right solution though.

mini hub: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56012/c/346/related/1

500 : http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-500-kit-079029-9N14.html

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

@charliebunny wrote:

500 : http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-500-kit-079029-9N14.html

I have a set of these and they work absolutely fine. You don't need super high speed if you only use the wireless for connecting to the internet rather than connecting to a NAS or transferring large files within your LAN, as the speed of your broadband will be the governing factor.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Any one of the devices would do what you want.

0 Ratings
charliebunny
Beginner
Message 6 of 17

Hi

Another complication!

My father has informed me that we have one electricity meter for the home but 2 separate fuse boxes for the different parts of the house (one of which is not covered at the moment) .. it's sort of an annexe or 'granny flat' that was built later on. We have moved the current hub but now my father's office is not getting a signal.

I need to know whether the items above will still work through the mains (power lines / electricity) with 2 separate fuse boxes? Thank you!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

Probably not. The electrical circuit needs to be on the same fuse box. You might find that if you connect one that is on the same circuit as the Smarthub as near as possible to the annexe the wireless signal will reach.

0 Ratings
charliebunny
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

We have a home hub 3 not a smart hub as my Dad likes that one unfortunately as it works for his needs (he's 75)

I have just spoken to the BT online chat and they asked similar. I replied : 'it goes from the same electricity meter then splits into two (with two separate fuse boxes) .. so they ARE connected together at the electricity meter but then splits into two to go to the different parts of the house.'

they replied: 'Then they will work just fine. No issues with that. Data signal needs just a connection to travel no matter what it is travelling through.'

Is this correct?

(Sorry to be such a pain .. I really need to get this sorted)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 17

My mistake about the SmartHub.

It doesn't matter about the meter. The circuit has to go through the same consumer unit (fuse box). 

If you have two different fuse boxes it will mean you have two diffeent ring mains. The data signal would not be able to pass from one ring main to the other if they are not supplied from the same fuse box.

0 Ratings
charliebunny
Beginner
Message 10 of 17

That's annoying! I wonder why they built it like that 😞

We could try putting the mini hub in the nearest room to the annexe on the same system as the router and see if that works I guess.

Are there any alternatives at all so I can get wifi? (other than a totally separate contract which seems ridiculous in the same house!). I used to have a dongle when I lived abroad - i guess that's a last resort if they still do them here!

My Dad is going to ask a friend who 'knows' about computers about alternatives (that has REALLY gone well in the past ... *joke*) so if I can come up with a workable system all the better!

0 Ratings