cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Radiant
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

New hub has altered 'my location' on PC & laptops.

Go to solution

How can this happen? We were sent a new smart hub 6a by Bt, after I complained about slower than advertised download speed and having gone through all sorts of checks they said I had a faulty hub. I doubted this was so, but I installed the replacement today, and discovered that our PC & laptops think their location is in Worcestershire, some 200 miles away from where we are. I put the old hub back on, and everything was fine. Put the new one on again, and there we were again, 200 miles away. 

What is this all about??

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Radiant
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: New hub has altered 'my location' on PC & laptops.

Go to solution
And...............both our Roberts Radios which connect to the wifi, will no longer do so! They were working fine with both hubs previously. Now, they pair with the hub OK but won't actually play any stations and just stick on 'connecting' when you switch on and select a station.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Did you turn off smart setup?

did you split the networks if you have hh6. Can't do it with SH2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Your 'new' hub is probably a refurbished one that was previously used in that location when it was discovered by Google.

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Are you connecting to the Roberts radios via wps?

Sometimes it’s better to connect manually using the wireless key.  In doing so you may have to retune, as in the process you may have reset everything.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

Your 'new' hub is probably a refurbished one that was previously used in that location when it was discovered by Google.

@Radiant  @licquorice  is correct,

You can ovecome the issue by de-registering the wireless location for that home hub.

Google has a record of wireless networks and their SSID and MAC (BSSID) addresses, it uses this to help with your location, if you tell your phone to use wireless networks to help with location. This also happens with other portable devices that use Google as a location aid.

If your home hub has been used at a different house, then this location information will be incorrect. This can also happen if you are send a new home hub, or buy a second hand one.

You can correct this information by following the instructions on this page Location-based services

It involves adding  _nomap to the home hubs.

Follow the instructions on that page to de-register that home hub.

0 Ratings
Radiant
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution
Yes & yes!
0 Ratings
Radiant
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution
My suspicion also!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

I had a similar issue with a Zoom MiFi router which I used when away on holiday. Google had recorded the SSID at the holiday location, and when I arrived home, it still said I was away when I tried to use it.

I followed the process as described by Google, and added _nomap to the end of the SSID. I then connected my Android phone to the Zoom unit and updated my location.

Shortly after, the Zoom MiFi router then deleted the holiday location, and returned no location information.

I left the _nomap suffix on the end of the SSID, so wherever I went with the unit, it would not be recorded by Google, if I connected my phone to it.

Instead, my phone simply recorded the location of the nearest mobile cell site.

0 Ratings
Radiant
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

The location issue has been resolved by using the old hub for now. But the 2 Roberts Radios (different models) won't connect even using ethernet. The radios show themselves as being connected to wifi or ethernet, but hang on 'connecting' when a station is selected. I've tried to retune the stations,  but after a few seconds I get a 'network timeout' error message, and clicking 'retry' gets the same error. I've tried connecting manually and with wps.

0 Ratings