cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

New hub, wanting to cancel a phone line where to plug hub in?

Go to solution

We currently have two phone lines (two phone numbers) one upstairs used for dial up and one downstairs which is our main household number. My mums ordered a new package 'fibre broadband and we've just received the hub. We are looking to move the hub downstairs and cancel the phone number/line from upstairs. Fibre is being turned on on Monday, now here's the query do I set up the hub downstairs now....do I put it upstairs? The lady on the phone said that we can cancel the phone number we don't need after the internet is all set up but I have no idea if broadband will come through the downstairs phone number on Monday.

As you can see we're not a tech savy family in our house.

So, question's where do I plug the hub in for now.....when fibre is switched on on Monday will it come through both phone lines so that I know my hub will work downstairs. I don't want to cancel upstairs phoneline if the hub doesn't work downstairs.

Sorry for the long-winded confusing questions, any help would be most appreciated. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: New hub, wanting to cancel a phone line where to plug hub in?

Go to solution

The hub will work on whatever line you have ordered it against. Just wait until Monday to ensure it has been provided on the correct number.

Are you sure the upstairs line is 'Dial up' and not just standard broadband?

Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Thank you for replying fast. Sorry, meant to explain we set up a second phone line for dial up, years a go. We've had wifi for a few years now but stupidly didn't think about canceling the phone line (saving us a lot of money) and moving it down stairs.
I've plugged the hub downstairs it flashes purple, upstairs it's blue. I'm just wondering if I have to wait for fibre to be switched on on Monday for it to completely work downstairs.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I would say that its on the upstairs line, as its not unusual for the connection to be made before activation.

Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
So we would have to phone up after Monday if internet isn't going through downstairs line to swap it round?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

If your current broadband is on the upstairs line then the new hub will be working on the existing broadband. On Monday, the hub should work on the downstairs line and not on the upstairs line, assuming you have ordered a new fibre broadband service on the downstairs number rather than 'upgrading' your existing broadband service.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@mandyleigh333 wrote:
So we would have to phone up after Monday if internet isn't going through downstairs line to swap it round?

Its not as easy as that, as it would involve an internal wiring re-arrangement.

If it was ordered on the upstairs phone number, then that is where its going to be. You would need to look at the order itself, to see which phone number it was ordered against.

If you look on MyBT, you should be able to see the order.

If you plug a phone in upstairs, and dial 17070, it will give you the phone number of the line upstairs, and you can check that against that against the phone number on the order.

If it matches, then that is the line that the broadband will be on.

If you wanted it downstairs, they you would either have to find someone who could rewire your internal wiring, or contact BT and ask for an internal socket move, but that would cost more money.