cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CBlue88
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

New installation of Infinity and BT mini connector kit problem

After having a download speed of 1mb for years we upgraded to infinity a few days ago.

It was hoped that we would received 15 to 30mb, however we are averaging 4 or 5.

I am unable to connect my sky Q booster and the new BT TV box due to them not getting a signal so I received a mini connector kit of 2 plugs.

I understand that the first mini kit needs to be in a plug socket, unfortunately our socket is too high towards the ceiling to allow for the greater height of the mini kit. Is there an alternative or can I use a certain type of extension lead? My other option would be to move the hub into another room, trailing the phone line lead, however this would then put the hub into another room.

I also need 2 to add 2 more connectors to the system to reach the sky and bt boxes, do I need the same kit again or are alternative kits such as the 600 hotspot be compatible?
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: New installation of Infinity and BT mini connector kit problem

Welcome to this user forum.

A short extension lead will work fine, just avoid any filtered or surge protected ones, as they have extra components which will stop the mini connectors from working.

The mini connectors have two Ethernet sockets at the far end, but if you need more Ethernet connections, then you can add an Ethernet switch to one of the ports of the mini connector.

A 5-port TP-Link SG105 switch is recommended by another forum member.

I would avoid adding any other powerline type devices to the setup, as you are likely to get problems.

0 Ratings
CBlue88
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Thank you for your reply 🙂

Just to double check.. it would be best to get two further mini connectors to install in the two rooms for the TV boxes? As any ethernet cable would need to either go through a doorway each or a hole in the wall which I don't want to go near!

Thanks again.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

I assume then that the BT YouView box, and all the other TV equipment are not together in the same room, is that correct?

0 Ratings
CBlue88
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Yes, unfortunately.

I have installed the second connector in the front room which is connected to the main sky q and xbox one.

The bt box is in my sons room and the sky q booster in the hallway.. luckily it's a bungalow though! Neither are receiving a signal wirelessly.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

@CBlue88 wrote:
Yes, unfortunately.

I have installed the second connector in the front room which is connected to the main sky q and xbox one.

The bt box is in my sons room and the sky q booster in the hallway.. luckily it's a bungalow though! Neither are receiving a signal wirelessly.

Then adding a couple of extra mini connectors would be the best option for compatibility, as I am not sure how the other BT ones will work with them, as they may interfere with the multicast packets needed for the BT YouView subscription channels.

Page 9 of the user manual http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57384

explains how to add additional ones to your existing setup. They need to be "paired" with the one connected to the home hub. You must not connect more than one mini connector to the home hub, otherwise you will cause a loop, and the home hub will lock up.

0 Ratings
CBlue88
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

This installation has got expensive!! Thank you for your advice so far.

Last question lol

I have a 4 plug extension lead with no surge protection, would that be ok to use for the one connected to the hub?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

@CBlue88 wrote:
This installation has got expensive!! Thank you for your advice so far.

Last question lol

I have a 4 plug extension lead with no surge protection, would that be ok to use for the one connected to the hub?

The mini connectors are expensive, but I assume you only paid £20 for the first pair?

A 4 plug short extension should be fine. I have some older Comtrend  powerline adapters, and a couple of those are on short extension leads.

0 Ratings
CBlue88
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

It makes sense about the extension lead, thank you.

Tbh, I was hoping this process would have been smoother. The initial mini connectors weren't included so arrived late, two rooms are still without TV, my sons xbox game has been downloading since Monday at 10am and is still only 80%, now we have to spend £93.47 to make it all work, even though it's nowhere near the estimate of the download speed! Not exactly the upgrade we were sold.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

The problem is that BT cannot be responsible for your internal network. Usually direct Ethernet cabling is the best option, which is why many new build properties have structured wiring already installed.

I personally think that the mini connectors are overpriced, especially as BT can offer them at £20 when you get BT YouView.

As for your connection speed, what average speed were you promised?

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings