cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wisdom123
Message 1 of 4

New installation

Hi guys,

I have standard broadband and phone idue to be installed on Friday for a new build 3 floor townhouse.

There is a phone socket on the ground floor and a phone socket on the third floor.

A room on the second floor is likely to be where the computer will go. Ideally this is where I would put the hub. I was just wondering what would be required in order to put the hub in that room?

Also are there any links as to what the engineer will do on the day and how things get set up?

Many thanks
0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Jack_F
Beginner
Message 2 of 4

Re: New installation

With copper (standard) broadband, you can plug the hub into whichever socket you desire. If it was an Infinity broadband provide, it would have to be into the master socket. As long as that socket is correctly connected to your master socket you should be golden. Was it a home move order or a new provide?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Wisdom123
Message 3 of 4

It's a new order. So would a new socket need to be put in the the room where ideally I would like the hub to go?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

@Jack_F wrote:

With copper (standard) broadband, you can plug the hub into whichever socket you desire. If it was an Infinity broadband provide, it would have to be into the master socket.

Neither statement are strictly true. If the standard broadband has a filtered faceplate master, the hub cannot be plugged directly into another socket and conversely, if Infinity is provided with an unfiltered master faceplate it will probably work fine in an extension socket.

As far as the original problem is concerned, the ideal would be to re-arrange the cabling to provide a new filtered master socket on the second floor with extension sockets on the other floors. I'm afraid I can't offer advice on what the engineer will or won't do with regard to achieving this.

0 Ratings