Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
monkeybutler
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

New router upgrade question

Go to solution
Hi

I've been having a lot of problems with my current BT home Hub 3 router, since the beginning of the year. As a result of Wi-Fi dropout I'm looking at buying a new ADSL router. The router I am currently looking to buy is the TP Link N600, for ADSL 2+, as it seems good for my needs and gets good reviews.

I think my connection is ADSL 2+, is there any way of checking this?

Another thing I'm considering is that my area is undergoing a BT infinity upgrade, and the connection from exchange to cabinets are being upgraded to fibre. Therefore will I still be able to use this router once my cabinets gets the upgrade?

Finally, is anybody using this router, and got any feedback for me, and does anyone have any experience of this router working with Xbox live?

Thanks!
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: New router upgrade question

Go to solution

It will work with ADSL and ADSL2 but not with VDSL Infinity without the use of an Openreach modem. You would connect using the WAN port. If you do get Infinity you can buy an Openreach modem from auction sites for about Β£20.

When you set up the router you will need to enter the username as bthomehub@btbroadband.com you do not need a password but id the router requires one you can use anything you want.

0 Ratings
monkeybutler
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks.

Once my cabinet is upgraded can I still use this modem if I choose not to upgrade to infinity? I'm currently getting 10mbps for Β£15, and don't see the upgrade as good value for money.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Yes. The upgrade and installation of an Infinity cabinet (FTTC) does not change anything that you presently have and you can continue to use it as at present.

monkeybutler
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
Wonderful, thanks for you advice.

Before I finish my cuppa, anyone got anything I need to know about this router and Xbox live before I go and buy one?
0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

If you renew contract for 12 months can you not get them to send you a HH4 replacement? It'll save you having to buy a new router when the HH4 seems like a decent piece of kit.

If you go for an Infinity upgrade they should send you a HH5 anyway which is one box solution rather than having an openreach modem AND a HH4 or other router.

0 Ratings
monkeybutler
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
My contract ends beginning of January, so not too far away. However, most of the time the wifi is unusable. To give an example, I was connected to Xbox live using a network cable on Friday night, and at the same time connected on my iPad to my router with full bars sat only 6 feet away from the router. However, I can't connect to the internet via wifi, when I know the router is connected to broadband. Half the time i can't get onto the Internet i can browse to 192.168.1.254 without issues. The rest of the time I can see the wifi across all devices, but it just won't connect to it.

It's running the latest firmware, done multiple factory resets, even assigned ip addresses to every device but nothing has improved the wifi. The thing is, the router worked fine until January 2014, and then the issue has got worse. I've even tried relocating it to another room on a different floor but it didn't fix it. Tried automatic and manually setting the channels but that didn't fix it either.

BT support aren't interested, as they say that it's connected to the Internet and wifi is enabled, so it's basically my problem. I sent them a complaint last month, and they sent me a replacement HH3, but when I tested that in exactly the same location the replacement hub only gave out half of the signal strength of the previous hub, so I sent that back.

I don't want to spend Β£60 on a hub, but we've got 3 tablets, 3 phones, and a laptop in the house, and wifi is up about 50% of the time.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Stick with your plan to get a new router. It will be far better than any of the BTHomehubs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
monkeybutler
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
πŸ˜€
0 Ratings