cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

New setup - Mesh setup with BT

Hello,

I have been asked by friend to recommend a new setup for a house they are about to move into.

They are looking for broadband and phone, their main requirement is good wi-fi throughout. House is old (so thick walls) and I believe 5 bedrooms so large size. They only have FTTC available with 71/20 estimated speeds.

My requirement is I would like to look at something good for them but also very lite-touch so I am not being called often for support!

Options I am looking at are:

1) With BT as provider - either purchasing the 3 x Whole Home Wi-Fi discs to ensure coverage and seamless connection with the BTHH they will provide, or adding the Whole Home Wi-Fi option @ £12 a month extra as can claim up to 3 x discs I believe?

2) With BT as provider - use the BTHH, turn wi-fi off and purchase a 3rd party mesh system to connect in AP Mode (Deco M9 Plus 3 x disc system or possibly Orbi if they wish to spend more) to use in access point mode

3) As option 2 but use a spare VMG8324-B10A I have as modem, I wont use the BTHH and would have the VMG8324-B10A connected to the 3rd party mesh system, getting the Deco/Orbi to do the routing and wireless.

Anything I may have missed options wise or setups people can recommend? There is no ethernet backhaul available and cabling not an option, I also want to avoid Powerline as well.

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: New setup - Mesh setup with BT

Forget option 2.

Option 3 is probably best bet.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Thanks

Out of interest what would be wrong with option 2?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Nothing in theory, but you will still have a locked down hub in circuit rather than a more flexible third party setup with extra whistles and bells. Either go fully BT or fully third party rather than a hybrid solution.

Message 5 of 6

@jimmyca69 I use an ECI modem I had from BT with a Deco M5 system - and am really pleased. The whole household  now regards the network as ubiquitous across all floors (Victorian, stone built house, and to the end of the garden.  Used modems appear on a well-known auction site.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi  I appear to live in a house similar to the one you describe and use option 1 and it works seamlessly. I also have an additional disc in a waterproof box screwed to the side of the shed and get the same speed across the garden.

0 Ratings