cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 2 of 6

New setup

Go to solution

Can anyone help please...

just bought a new Honor/Huawei 3 router, however it does not have a built in modem. 

for me to use this on my current by plan (bt fibre) do I just need a modem? 

if I’m right I’m thinking... I have a fttc connection with an open reach master 5c socket.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6

Third party router

Go to solution

Can anyone help please...

just bought a new Honor/Huawei 3 router, however it does not have a built in modem. 

for me to use this on my current by plan (bt fibre) do I just need a modem? 

if I’m right I’m thinking... I have a fttc connection with an open reach master 5c socket.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Re: Third party router

Go to solution

Zyes you will need to purchase a separate modem  of replace your purchase with a modem router version

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Yes, you need a modem such as an Openreach Huawei HG612 from Ebay.

Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thankyou! At the moment I’m currently running it off the gig Ethernet port on my BT hub 5. Using the hub as a modem ish. (Wifi disabled on hub 5) as my BT package is for 60mbps and the port is for 1gig Ethernet, if all traffic is going directly through here should this setup be ok or would I be better/same with a modem?

my question is- will I be losing out on any speed by doing this?

I hope that make sense😅 thanks for the quick response!

regards, Sam

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

The hub does not have modem mode so is still acting as a router. You have double NAT running. You need a modem to get the best out of the router you've purchased.

0 Ratings