cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joannasa
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Nightmare getting netflix/freeview access on Bush TV (BT home hub 5)

Go to solution

I have always had a nightmare getting freeview playback tv or netflix on my Bush TV.  Today it took nearly an hour to connect going over and over the same thing before the connection going.  Whenever I do manage to get a connection I am lucky if it lasts more than 2 days before going back to square one.  On the odd occaision I do get netflix I always cancel at the end of the month as I can hardly ever get it connected to my television.

An engineer visited as my landline voicemail wasn't working nor was I receiving telephone calls.  On his visit he said my BT hub was outdated and it definitely needed replacing.   Do you think this is what is causing the problems with my Bush TV and if so how do I go about getting a replacement?  I don't want to pay for one as I feel after being with BT for more than enough years they should  upgrade our hubs once in a while.

Also when connecting on the Bush TV should  I be using my BT main hub or BT wifi - i have tried both by the way and always get the same issues connecting.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Nightmare getting netflix/freeview access on Bush TV (BT home hub 5)

Go to solution

@joannasa 

You really need to connect the TV to the home hub using an Ethernet cable and not a wireless connection. Wireless is too unreliable and your smart TV should have an Ethernet (LAN) connection.

If the home hub is too far away from the TV, then broadband extenders can be used.

https://shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/broadband-extenders

0 Ratings
joannasa
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the answer but that's pretty problematic as my phone connection/home hub is in a totally different room to the tv and can't be moved.  Would a new hub/router not fix the problem?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@joannasa wrote:

Thanks for the answer but that's pretty problematic as my phone connection/home hub is in a totally different room to the tv and can't be moved.  Would a new hub/router not fix the problem?

A new home hub would not help as the wireless coverage would be the same.

The broadband extenders will allow you to connect the home hub to the TV, even if they are in a separate room.

They send the Ethernet connection over the mains wiring.

Take a look at the page I linked to. This one is normally fine https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-broadband-extender-600-kit-084284-BVFL.html

Here is a diagram showing how they work.

Capture.JPG

joannasa
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick response.  So to clarify instead of one long wire from the televison to the bt home hub/router I would just need to plug one of the broadband extenders by the television and connect via an ethernet cable and the other extender via the home hub and connect via an ethernet cable?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Correct, your mains wiring effectively becomes the Ethernet lead.

joannasa
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Many thanks both for your responses.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
Sometimes, some manufacturers smart TV apps ,( ones built into the TV’s operating system ) are not updated often , or even at all, so should Netflix or similar services do something that requires a new upgraded version of the appIication running on your TV, and the TV manufacturer doesn’t support that , then your TV won’t connect to the service, you could check if your TV has a menu option that checks you are runnng the latest version , and if you are not, it may offer to download the newest version
joannasa
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks, will do.

0 Ratings