cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 25

Re: No Internet via Wi Fi extender

Whereabouts do you see the Action Required Message, is it in My Network in the hub manager?

If so then I think I know what the problem is and the only way to resolve it is a factory reset of the hub.

Basically, the network extender has one IP address but for some reason I never managed to get to the bottom of, the hub thinks it is on a different IP address. Check the extender and the hub to see if they're both saying the same as each other

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 12 of 25

'Action Required' is under the direct router link...in the drop down menu (it actually lifts up!) when the internet access button is clicked showing all connections on the right.

Under 'BTHub6-S?S! with 'Connected, Secured' directly underneath it had 'Action Required' instead of 'Connected, Secure' This shows when I am connected with the extender.

I believe the  address direct to the router is 192.168.1.254...whereas the Ext connection is 192............250.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 25

I'm with you, the Action Required message is just a warning from Windows confirming that there is no internet connection.

Yes, 254 is the gateway address (the hub)

Do both the hub and the extender agree that the extender is at 250 and, if you look at the list of connected devices on the hub, is 250 the only address assigned to the extender.

And finally have you tried a factory reset of the hub? If you're reluctant to do so because you have customised (say) port forwarding rules, you can save your current configuration first and restore it later 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 14 of 25

When I go to 254 (the hub) in My Network...Wireless Connections....My Devices …..the extender is listed as 250.

Only one address?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 25

Yeah, I was just wondering if there was some corruption in the DHCP pool.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 16 of 25

Sorry, you lost me there.

At the moment all devices are operating directly to the Router so I'm thinking a different extender may be the answer but I'm not quite there yet!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 25

Have you tried a factory reset of the hub, I know it's new but still worth a try

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 25

Just a thought, one I should have had earlier if I'm honest.

when setting the extender up, you did select Extender Mode as opposed to Access point Mode didn't you?

Access Point Mode requires a cable connection between the router and extender

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 19 of 25

Never used an ethernet cable connection with the extender.

Now find that our two phones can't connect directly to the hub...comment on the phones below the hub name...'Couldn't get IP Address'

The extender is turned off. 

Will reset the Hub in due course and start again if that's the best thing to do....I have the ongoing problem the other half is working on her PC most of the time so that would be late this afternoon.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 25

@EJBwrote:

Never used an ethernet cable connection with the extender

At some point during the setup process, you will be asked to choose between Extender Mode and Access Point Mode.
(see step 5 of User Manual on page 13)

If you chooses Access Point Mode and there is no cable connecting the extender to the router, then you will get the very problem you describe.
(See page 15 of User Manual)

As you have never used an ethernet cable with the extender then the only option open to you is Extender Mode.

My guess is that you have set it up in Access Point Mode and, as I said above, without an ethernet connection it is guaranteed to fail.

Alternatively, you could try Smart Setup (see page 17 of user manual)

Edit: Just in case you can't find the user manual

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN3000RPV3/WN3000RPv3_UM_25Aug2015.pdf