cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

No Wi-Fi when FTTP down - Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

Hi

During the recent storms, my FTTP was hit by falling trees in three locations. 😞 I also experienced a power cut from about midnight to 09:40 am.

When the power resumed and the Smart Hub 2 booted I expected that the wi-fi would resume but with no internet connection.  However, not only did my wi-fi not switch back on but the DHCP allocation of addresses stopped as well, so no local devices could access any other local devices.

Is this a 'feature' of the Smart Hub 2? Is there a configuration to change this to work when the internet connection is lost?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: No Wi-Fi when FTTP down - Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

The SH2 doesn't require an internet connection for wifi and DHCP to work. Try a factory reset to see if that kicks it back to life, remember to turn off Smart Setup again afterwards.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have set up a lot of static IP addresses in the hub, which I use with my Raspberry Pi's and so reluctant to factory reset until the problem occurs again.  The hub is working fine now that FTTP has been repaired but if I'm in the same situation again, I'll do the factory reset.

Thanks again, for your help.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Why would you set  'static' addresses in the hub (reserved addresses rather than static, still requiring DHCP) rather than on the Pi's themselves.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi

Sorry, I'm reserving the IP addresses in the hub.  My mistake.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

But if you set them on the Pi's themselves, you are not reliant on the hub issuing addresses and any future requirements to factory reset the hub wouldn't affect anything.

Personal preference, but if I want a device to have a particular IP address I would always set it on the device rather than rely on a DHCP server reserving it.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Agreed but this would be OS-specific wouldn't it?  As I often swap OS and try new ones out,  I want the IP Address to stay consistent.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Not sure what you mean by OS specific, every time you change OS and have to configure your network settings, just configure them with the same IP address rather than configuring them as DHCP.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

There are 2 fields of thought here.

I used to set the fixed IP on the device so it didn't pull one from DHCP, but many people recommend reserving the IP for the device in the router.

I suppose the benefit of reserving the IP in the router is so that the reserved IP is not allocated to a device while the device you want with the fixed IP is turned off, or when it is turned on you would have 2 devices with the same IP and hence a conflict.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

No chance if you set a static IP address outside of the DHCP range of the router. On a BT hub, the DHCP range is from 64 to 253 hence it will never allocate addresses 1 to 63. All routers will allow you to set the DHCP range.

0 Ratings