cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

No broadband but getting dial tone

My extension slave socket had been working until Openreach installed a new master socket yesterday - the type that you remove the faceplate by squeezing the sides. Broadband connects if I plug  the router directly into the master socket but I need it to work from the extension socket as before. I'm getting a dial tone from a phone connected to the slave socket but it will not work with my Smart Hub - just flashing purple light. I've checked the slave socket wiring and it seems ok.

I'm puzzled but reluctant to call BT out given the hefty charges, knowing that the responsibilty for extensions is the consumer, although it was Openreach who connected the cable to the consumer point inside the master socket.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: No broadband but getting dial tone

@ossian 

The new socket would have removed the broadband signal from the extension wiring, that is its purpose, as extension wiring can affect speed, which is why that is fitted.

Her is the information for that NTE.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/how-toguides/howtoguides/downloads/NTE5C_Instru...

You would either have to run an additional RJ11 extension cable, or reconnect the extension to the data connectors, but that would mean using a microfilter on the extension, and your speed is likely to be affected.

The best way is to buy a long RJ11 lead and plug that into the broadband socket on the front of the NTE, and then plug your BT Home Hub into the end of that socket.  Just use your existing phone extension for your phone only.

Doing it that way would avoid interfering with the master socket, and possibly being charged if you get a fault.

You can buy 10m, 20M and 30M cables quite cheaply.

Message 3 of 17

So, the reconnected extension in the master socket does not facilitate broadband to the router? The only way to get my router in another room is to plug an extension cable into the RJ11 faceplate of the new master socket? Is that correct?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Yes, that is the whole point of a filtered faceplate.

As @@Keith_Beddoe says, you can move the wires from 2&5 to the data extension terminals in the master socket and then use a plug in filter at the extension socket if you wish.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

@ossian wrote:

So, the reconnected extension in the master socket does not facilitate broadband to the router? The only way to get my router in another room is to plug an extension cable into the RJ11 faceplate of the new master socket? Is that correct?

If the new socket was fitted to sort out a speed or disconnection issue, then that would be the best way to do it.

If you move the extension wiring to the data connection, then the problem is going to come back again, as it would be the extension(s) causing the fault.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Thanks. The extension has been reconnected using the IDC connector within the master socket. I get dial tone. Using a filter, I still get dial tone but not broadband. But broadband connects if I run a RJ11 cable from the faceplate socket directly to the router. I've tried re-doing the wires at the IDC connector but no different.

It is a fact that the slave socket worked yesterday before the master socket was changed.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

You are clearly not moving the wires from terminals 2&5 and moving them to the data extension terminals in the rear of the socket. But as @Keith_Beddoe  has said, if the extension wiring is the cause of any problems you have been having, you will just re-introduce the problem.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

The extension terminal are filtered, and do not carry broadband, that is their purpose, its jus for phone use only.

The correct place to connect the BT Home Hub, is to the front broadband connection, that is what its for. The broadband signal only appears on that socket, or on the data extension wiring, as shown in the instruction document.

Message 9 of 17

Well, I should have been advised that fitting a new master socket would disable my router which was on the extension.

Openreach have been out and their man couldn't explain it. In the end, he relocated the master socket.

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Just to understand this, with the new master socket, I'd actually need 2 separate extensions - 1 for phone and 1 for broadband (connected to the data terminals). Am I reading that correctly?

0 Ratings