Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
kevbliss
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

No internet connection with new HomeHub4

Hello, 

I've been trying to set up a new HH4 with half and half success.  After powering it up and connecting ADSL and waiting for blue light on the front, devices like ipads, phones and iMac all connected wirelessly to the router and said they were connected to the internet.

However, when any internet pages were attempted to be visited, or apps on the devices run that wanted internet access, nothing.  On the desktop, Chrome told be there was no internet connection and/or DNS could not be resolved.

I've tried changing the default DNS server on the iMac (I understand you cant change DNS server settings via the router config page), using 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4, Googles DNS serers, but this makes no difference.  I have intermitent access to the router, sometimes bthomehub.home will connect to it, other times it gives the same DNS error as above.

I have rebooted and reset the router a few times now, each to no avail.  I've connected a Windows 10 laptop with an ethernet cable direclty to router and tried access to internet and routher that way, no change.

I've been talking whilst tethered via phone to BTLive Chat who have run tests on the router from their end and say there's no problem.  However, they also were screen sharing on my iMac (whilst tethered to phone for connection) and wondered why all the web adresses they tried worked....I had to expalin numerous times that I was tethered to a phone to allow them their screen sharing connection and the problem was with the router, so I'm not that sure they grasped the problem.  No solution via the live chat, their next reccommendation was to get a technicain out to the house, at cost of course.

So, in summary, all devices can see and connect to HH4 wirelessly and wired, say they are succesfully connected, but there is no internet access being dished out.  All devices have the correct range of IP addresses.  Does this sound like a problem with the HH4 itself? The lights on the front remain solid blue throughout.

Any help appreciated!

Kev

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: No internet connection with new HomeHub4

The charge is only made if the fault is found with your extensions or equipment connected to it if the problem is there when you are connected to the test socket then it would be non chargeable as it is external to your property
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

I assume you now have a steady blue light on the home hub?

0 Ratings
kevbliss
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Keith, yes, a stead blue light is on the hub.

John46, Will try test socket this evening if I can, master socket placement in my property is awkward and it's nowhere near power ir the hub itself. Have a long ADSL cable directly from socket to hub via a filter, which has been fine previously.

Thanks.
0 Ratings
kevbliss
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Ok, so have tested a few things:

Home Hub 4 in the test socket on Master Socket still doesn't work.

Home Hub 3 (which died this week with the flashing orange power light of death) in the test socket doesn't work either.

Digging around, I found an old BT Voyager router, which is about 8 years old or more.  Plugged this in the test socket, works perfectly fine.

Plug Voyager router in normal location (where both Home Hubs have been), works perfectly fine.

This strongly points towards the HH4 being defective, no?

Cheers

Kev

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

Can you access the hub manager from any device? If you can, turn off smart setup on the hub 4.
0 Ratings