cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 13

Re: Non BT gfast modemrouter

I tried a XMG3927 on my g.fast connection around 6 months ago and having used many other Zyxel routers beforehand I had no issues getting it connected. They do have their 'quirks' in the interface though I'll admit.
As far as the router interface is concerned it considers g.fast as vdsl, so configure it just like you'd configure a Zyxel for VDSL. See https://kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_vdsl_setup.htm for an example.

Unfortunately I sent it back as it seemed incompatible with BT's IPV6 implementation.

Use caution if you get a Vigor 166 as it seems to underperform on VDSL anyway, even triggering DLM due high error rates for many people. Haven't seen many use it with g.fast though so curious about that.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 13

Thanks for the help. the Draytek doesn’t arrive until this evening so may struggle to get anything done tonight. I had another play yesterday with the Zyxel and thought I was there as it was showing as connected but I couldn’t bring any web pages up. 

which prompts another question  currently use Amazon eero as a mesh system for wifi and its great apart from with but hub I end up with a double nat  situation which is giving me issues.  My plan was to put the Zyxel into bridge mode  ( I get that’s an expensive router to use) but i could then connect the eero and hopefully the issue would be sorted. Would i connect the eero to the lan port or would it need to be connected to the wan port which would then need to be configured.

im open to other suggestions. Many thanks Rich

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 13

My understanding is,

The WAN port is used to connect to devices that give a direct route to the internet using a point to point connection (such as point to point over ethernet) so you would normally have a 'modem' style device in bridge doing the G.Fast connection then connected to the WAN port a router which then connects using PPPoe to the ISP, the router then provides LAN ports & local IP addresses to the devices in your home. The Zyxel device in routing mode does all this internally.

With the Zyexel in bridge mode, you would then need something to provide the login via PPPoe which the eero can't do.