cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Not getting the minimum Speedfast guarantee since I joined BT in December

My minimum guaranteed speed is 9mps download, at the moment I'm lucky to get 2mps download. It continually drops to 0.2mps download speed on a regular basis.

It's not recently happened because of everyone staying at home, even before the lockdown my speeds were slow, but before the internet was at least useable so I didn't press it.

I was on livechat yesterday with them, the first agent I spoke to was set to book an engineer appointment but was having technical issues so asked me to start a new chat with someone else to get the appointment booked. Second agent wouldn't book the appointment saying there was a technical fault outside, that should be fixed at midnight.

I told him this was ongoing and not just a recent problem but he was convinced it was the fault outside, the service status checker said the fault was fixed yesterday, yet the internet is as bad as ever.

He said we would automatically be refunded money for the internet being so slow, however I'm not sure if that will be the case.

I don't know what to do now. The internet is unusable. I've resorted to using mobile data while inside my home, despite the fact that I'm paying for fibre optic. 

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Not getting the minimum Speedfast guarantee since I joined BT in December

@pauloh65 

What broadband package are you on?

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 09.29.54.pngScreenshot 2020-04-28 at 09.30.44.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

You should be getting a connection speed of between 14.4 and 25.1Mbs.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

You can check your current speed on this website.

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

But you need to be connected via an Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

BT.jpg

There is a small bit of static on the line during the quiet line test. 6 mbps connected to the router with an Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

The line should be quiet, so its possible there is an issue, however I suspect your connection speed is very low, possibly due to your own internal wiring.

If you are using the BT Smart hub you can get your connection stats by, Opening a new web browser on your connected device and type 192.168.1.254 or bthomehub.home into the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager.  Click Advanced Settings’ and then ‘Technical log’

What does your master phone socket look like?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpeg

Keith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

I suspect it's my own internal wiring too, I wanted BT to send the engineer out even if were to charge me £85. I have the connection of number 2 with the openreach symbol on it. 

Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 10.03.05.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Either you are getting a lot of disconnections, or you have a noisy line. Your max attainable rate is only 13.34Mbs which could indicate a problem with your wiring.

Your actual connection speed is very low.

Can you please connect things up as shown below, and see if your maximum data rate increases.

When you unclip the front cover, you should see the wiring to any other extension sockets that you have. If you have extensions, and they are not connected to those terminals, then your internal wiring is at fault.

NTE 5C Test socket checkNTE 5C Test socket check

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 11.48.13.png

I opened the clip and inside I couldn't really see any wiring at all. I moved the router over to where the test socket is, so there was just a microfilter connecting to the router, and the speed hasn't changed at all. It took a while of moving the wires around before it would all connect. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Has the maximum data rate changed on the home hub connection statistics?

Please leave it connected like this.

It should have connected right away.

Do you have any other phone sockets, or phone extension wiring?

0 Ratings