cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RACHKEV
Message 1 of 7

Not receiving internet upstairs and terrible customer service

Back in September we started having issues with the broadband connection upstairs in our home. 

We are unable to connect once we are in the bedrooms to any of our devices.

After talking to someone about the issue on the phone we were told it was becasue we were on a hub 3 and needed to upgrade to a hub 5. Bearing in mind we were currently out of contract but we were assured this would solve the problem.

We decided to upgrade, naively thinking that was the problem solved but we still are having the same issue.

Numerous times i have called the "tech support", each time getting told something different....BT only has a range of 10 metres (my house isnt even that big, mid terrace) BT is not compatable with PS4 and there for no good for online gaming (our issue is will all devices not just PS4) Also as they are reading from a script, when you challenge what they are telling you, i just get passed from one department to another. Apparently no-one is qulified to deal with this issue??? (another thing i was told)

We have been missed sold the product which ultimately has trapped us into a contract, which i believe was the goal of the first person we spoke to about the issue (more commision for him)  We are now paying for a service you can not provide us but promised it to us. 

Last night after another phone call, i asked for contact details for the complaints department to be told there isnt one and again got transfered back to the "tech department" who kept saying he didnt know what my problem was. 

So after weeks of phone calls we are no further along and all that has been achieved is my time and money wasted. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Not receiving internet upstairs and terrible customer service

Try turning Smart Setup off.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Also try separating and renaming the SSIDs.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/related/1

Also try changing the wireless channel, there is a choice of 13 channels, one of them may give better reception.

There are some products from BT to help with connections within the house.

http://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/bt-connected-home/home/

0 Ratings
RACHKEV
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for that but these options you have mentioned to change settings etc , have previously done (numerous times) and made no difference.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Perhaps there is just a poor wireless signal upstairs, or there is too much interference from other wireless networks. Lots of devices, including video senders and baby alarms, use the same frequency band as wireless routers.

Remember to connect your devices at 2.4G, as 5G may not reach upstairs, as it has a much shorter range.

I assume everything works downstairs?

0 Ratings
RACHKEV
Message 5 of 7

its set at 2.4, went through it all again when you posted link up.

It was working fine previous to the issues starting in September, device wise we dont have alot. 

We literally get 5 to 6m away from the box and no signal is being recieved, on the off chance we can get connected it is so slow and anything hardly loads.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

have you checked the wirekess card drivers on any windows based devices as the hh5 has a differnt chipset to hh3  check with manufacturers website and don't rely on windows update

you can try downloading inssider3 (istumbler if MAC) and then run it. This will show the broadcasting networks round about you and their channels including your own. If you then enter your router and change your wireless channel to a free or less congested channel.

inssider3.1.2.1

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rarmitage124
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

To link on with imjolly's post
If you have an android device search on the google play store: WIFI Analyzer lite. Its by a guy called Martin Hlousek and it is Free to download. Open the app and go around your house looking at the channels from neighbours routers that appear on your screen. If you find their are routers on the same channel as yours, you will need to change the channel of your home hub to the least populated channel.

Always go for 1,6 or 11 for best speeds

If you need any help post back.

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
0 Ratings