Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 21

Re: ONT and LAN Ports

@rbz5416  Beat me to it 😄

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

The handsets already had contacts stored on them because I had previously been using their DECT base station.

When I paired my newest handset to my SH2 I transferred the contacts to it (the handset said it was successful). However, there is no way that I can see of viewing them in the hub manager to check.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 21

You can export the hub contact list as a .vcf file and then open it in Notepad

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 21

Just tried that. I’m on iOS so different export behaviour. It only exported 1 contact card. I also tried again to download contacts from my newest handset to the hub. It said 3 successfully uploaded out of 41, so I guess that this functionality isn’t working in my setup.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 21

That's why I said open it in Notepad. If you open it in the native app it just shows the first card.

Assume iOS has an equivalent text editor to Notepad

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 21

I was using an iPad. Just tried it on an iMac and the export worked. To confirm, export of contacts from my Siemens handset to the SH2 worked, and export from SH2 worked.
Message 17 of 21

The lounge isn't that far away from the cupboard but no chance really of running another cable, and there are no pairs of sockets, it's just the one in each room. I think I just need to accept the router is staying in the cupboard but I need a WAP somewhere else.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 21

@David500 

There is a phone socket next to the LAN socket in the lounge, so yes if I get the right cable that could mean at least the phone doesn't need to be in the cupboard, that would help a lot so thanks!

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

Depending on what speed service you subscribed to, you could make the connection between the ONT & router in the lounge by powerline adapters. That would leave the ethernet port free to run back to a switch in the cupboard, that could then feed the patch panel for the other rooms.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 21

If there is a phone socket in the lounge it would be worth checking how that is cabled, if they have by any chance used cat5/5e/6 rather than just phone cable you could probably change that to become ethernet - very small chance but worth checking just in case.

Rather than just a WAP you might want to look at the BT discs that allow you to create a mesh with the SH2 - it might provide better coverage and/or performance than a simple WAP.

I mentioned Powerline adapters early on and @rbz5416 has suggested them again as a way of providing a link to the router from the ONT thereby allowing your existing ethernet to go back from the router to a switch in the cupboard. From the general experience on here, gigabit Powerline adapters are unlikely to provide anything like the full performance a gigabit ethernet connection would, so I would therefore suggest using the Ethernet from ONT to Router and the Powerline adapters from Router to cupboard switch if you want the router in the lounge.