Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 25

Re: Off-line networking

Go to solution

On the XP machine, make sure that you have up to date antivirus protection and that the Windows firewall is turned on. If all you intend to do is connect to your wireless network printer in order to print and you are not going to "surf" the Internet you will be very unlikely to have a problem.

You can use any of the well known brands of antivirus that offer free protection.

Turn on the wireless connection on your XP when you need to connect to the network printer. Once you have finished with your printing just turn off the wireless connection on your XP machine which will isolate the machine from the Internet.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 12 of 25

Go to solution

@Scotsail 

You might find this article interesting

Edit: Skip down to Bullet Point 4

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 25

Go to solution

@Anonymous wrote:

@Scotsail 

Why would he want to disable the firewall?

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 14 of 25

Go to solution

@gg30340wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@Scotsail 

Why would he want to disable the firewall?

Who didn't read bullet point 4 then?

The Windows XP Firewall can be set to allow local traffic whilst blocking internet access

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 25

Go to solution

I did and the question is still relevant, why turn off the firewall?

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 16 of 25

Go to solution

I'm not saying he should, I'm saying he can set the firewall to block access from the internet and still be able to communicate with his own network devices.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 25

Go to solution

I am aware of what you are trying to do but unless I am mistaken the article was for turning the firewall off and not for having the firewall turned on to block all connections to and from the Internet while allowing exceptions through on the LAN.

0 Ratings
Scotsail
Contributor
Message 18 of 25

Go to solution

Thanks licquorice, have seen some of you earlier posts on the subject. Agree it shouldn't need a broadband conection but it alternates between a very strong wireless signal and nothing at all, so can't print. Incidently, although I print successfully with Win 10 PC, the printer does not appear on the list of devices in the hub list

0 Ratings
Scotsail
Contributor
Message 19 of 25

Go to solution

Thanks V-M. I do have the original, very old, media and, when I tried initially to install it, it was rejected. The hub is indeed a 6. What is particularly annoying is that,during lockdown I held on to the old hub and only recently returned it for recycling. To add to my troubles, my numbr 2 mouse has died so further experimentation on XP PC is paused.

0 Ratings
Scotsail
Contributor
Message 20 of 25

Go to solution

Thanks gg and V-M for the interesting discussion. I have always disconnected from my Broadband link before activating a wireless connection in XP, because I feared virus infection. Advice from both of you suggests that I can have a continuously active wireless connection without going on line. In that case, as a purely academic question, is it necessary to have updated anti-virus or is it irrrelevant?

0 Ratings