cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thirl88
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Old Router on Infinity Line?

I just received a New Smart Hub and in 1 day my BT Broadband will be Infinity enabled.

I have connected the Smart Hub and it is corrently working on my non-Infinity line - awaiting upgrade tomorrow.

My question is...

Is my old Standard Broadband Router now completely useless to me? Or should I keep it for emergency backup?

My out-going standard broadband router is a Netgear and I also have a BT Hub 3 (sitting in a cupboard).

I do not have a separate Infinity modem to connect them to.

If my Smart Hub broke down, would I be able to use the old routers on the Infinity enabled line until I got a replacement?

I realise these old routers cannot connect to high-speed Infinity (without a separate modem) but would

they be able to connect to the Internet at standard broadband speed while Infinity is enabled on my line?

Am I making any sense?? 😉

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Old Router on Infinity Line?

The HH3 definitely won't connect to Infinity without a modem. Which model Netgear is it? If it is an ADSL/VDSL modem/router it will connect but if it is only an ADSL modem/router it won't. ADSL and VDSL are totally different technology.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

the old routers if not vdsl modems then you would need a separate vdsl modem to be able to use modem/routers in router only mode

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
thirl88
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

OK Thanks,

So basically what is happening is I'm being changed from ADSL to VDSL?

And ADSL only routers (like my Netgear and Hub 3) cannot connect to VDSL at all?

(unless there is a VDSL modem connected as well).

Pity because I was hoping to have some sort of backup without having to buy anything!

Thanks for the reply.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

@thirl88A backup router would only cost £30, so it may be worth it, as home hubs do seem to fail quite often, and its useful to be able to prove whether its the home hub or the line which is at fault.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

@thirl88 wrote:

OK Thanks,

So basically what is happening is I'm being changed from ADSL to VDSL?

And ADSL only routers (like my Netgear and Hub 3) cannot connect to VDSL at all?

(unless there is a VDSL modem connected as well).

Pity because I was hoping to have some sort of backup without having to buy anything!

Thanks for the reply.

Correct.

Are you sure your Netgear is ADSL only, which model is it?

0 Ratings
thirl88
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

It's a Netgear 11 N300 ADSL2+.

Like this one: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGN2200/DGN2200_UM_3Feb11.pdf

It's a good few years old now but has never given me a second of bother

and is great for streaming/networking around the house. I bought it for about

£60 to replace my 3rd broken HH2. It's the main reason why I'd put off

changing to Infinity - and because I don't really "need" the extra speed at the moment.

BT later sent me a HH3 but I just left it in a cupboard. My original HH1 (which also broke down)

and the HH2's were utterly useless for streaming around the house.

The BT Smart Hub I received today is certainly a lot better than they ever were.

And it was a doddle to set up - including connection to various devices.

Just hoping it continues to work.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Unfortunately ADSL only so won't work with Infinity.

0 Ratings