cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Old Style Modem (?) - Can I connect my smart hub to this

Hi,

I have recently moved flats and I am trying to setup my Smart Hub 2. There is no master socket in the flat. There is only some form of non-BT modem (?), please see the image. 

Is the Smart Hub compatible with this?

I’ve tried connecting the Smart Hub to it with an Ethernet from WAN port in the Smart Hub to the LAN port in the modem. The Smart Hub is only showing an Orange ring.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Old Style Modem (?) - Can I connect my smart hub to this

B333C8EB-3DF2-468E-B48D-6F1ADC8E9C0B.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

That’s not a DSL Modem and or ONT that Openreach would use.

Can only assume it’s an Alt Net’s, i.e. Zzoom, CityFibre, Upp, etc.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Have you actually ordered broadband from a supplier?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Yes, ordered broadband from BT. Got a text saying broadband is now ready to be used. But doesn’t look like the current setup in the flat will allow me to do so. 

Looks like an engineer will be required?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

You need to have a good look around inside the flat  , as stated whatever that image is of , it isn’t  the property Openreach , but presumably somewhere there will be either an Openreach master socket ( if it’s ADSL/VDSL ( FTTC ) you have ordered or an Openreach ONT if it’s ’full fibre’ you have ordered ….there is always the possibility that someone removed the Openreach kit , even though they shouldn’t, but the image you  have posted a picture of is of no use with your BT service .

FWIW , if that’s an ONT from an alternative provider it seems to have a power lead , and Ethernet cable ( possibly to a router ) but no optical lead 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

I was thinking same about the Optical Lead. At first I thought it might have been a Power Line Adapter.

Noticed the screw on the top left of the box though. It’s possible the Optical Lead comes through the wall into the box and coils inside it.

0 Ratings