cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Markb29
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

One property, two buildings, one owner: want one account

Hi, we have just taken over a property. We live across two buildings. We are not there permanently. We need wifi in both. Anyone have a suggestion for how to work this under one account - this would be better than setting up two accounts which will be prohibitive? One building already ha a BT phone and broadband account. Thanks in advance. M
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: One property, two buildings, one owner: want one account

Welcome to this user forum.

Are you a business customer?

You may be able to receive the wireless signal from the other building if you use a router with an external aerial connector that can be cabled to an outside directional aerial.

None of the BT home hubs have that facility, but you could add a wireless access point that does have an external aerial connector.

The TP- Link TL-WA701ND has a single aerial connector which you could use with the TP-Link TL-ANT2409A 2.4 GHz 9dBi Directional Antenna.

If the buildings are adjacent, you could run an Ethernet cable between them.

0 Ratings
Markb29
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks Kieth.  Can i confirm - I should buy separately the new router and ariel suggested.  If these don't work, I will need to connect this via an ethernet cable?

0 Ratings
Markb29
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

...and I am a domestic user.  What type pf person would fit the ethernet cable?  Cheers M

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

It depends on how permanent you want the cable to be.  If it's just a temporary thing, just buy a long cable, and string it up between the buildings.  Plug one end into your home router and the other into the wireless hotspot.

For something a bit better, more permanent, and less likely to be tripped over, try any electrician who knows about data cabling.  Ethernet cables can be up to 100m long.

0 Ratings